• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Margaret Thatcher's toxic legacy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Margaret Thatcher's toxic legacy

David Cameron's rhetoric on social justice is worthless given that it was his party which broke our economy

The election approaches and Britain begins the long haul out of recession. What will the Conservatives do to the economy? David Cameron has claimed Margaret Thatcher's economic revolution as his own. She had, he said, engineered an enterprise economy that was the envy of the world. Today "our country does not face economic breakdown. We've won the economic argument." But, after three turbulent decades, it has ended in calamity.

The Conservative economic revolution of the 1980s casts a long shadow. It broke the power of organised labour, deregulated the economy and opened it up to global market forces. The 1980 Housing Act and the "right to buy" launched a neoliberal hegemony. Geoffrey Howe's 1981 austerity budget of public spending cuts and tax increases pitched Britain into mass unemployment and helped destroy the last vestiges of the postwar welfare consensus. His goal was to transfer wealth from the public to the private sector, and so unleash free enterprise.

More here.

The Conservative economic revolution of the 1980s casts a long shadow. It broke the power of organised labour, deregulated the economy and opened it up to global market forces
    .. and these turned out to be good things?

Burn the witch!
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

13 years of a Labour gov and they are still blaming Thatcher.

It's almost beyond satire now.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post

The Conservative economic legacy is a massive transfer of wealth and power away from the majority of the people to capital, away from the poor to the rich, and away from the country to London.
        I had kind of expected NL to reverse the trend of moving wealth from the country to London, but from where I was standing they accelerated it.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

As Steve Bell said in a different electoral context back in the Eighties, it's the same old piss in a different shaped bottle

Comment

If you don't want red or blue, you could try voting for someone else...
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              If you don't want red or blue, you could try voting for someone else...
              Or not vote at all. That way, TPTB might try to claim some legitimacy, but the populace will know they have none.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I left a toxic legacy this morning. I'm going to have to go back for another flush...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                  Or not vote at all. That way, TPTB might try to claim some legitimacy, but the populace will know they have none.
                  That doesn't tell them anything.

Spoiling your vote by scrawling "THEY'RE ALL TOSSERS" on your ballot paper will, however...
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post

In a theoretical sense, 13 years isn't a very long time to fundamentally change the way a country works. Not claiming it's a fair complaint in this case, just making the point.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X