• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should we raise social benefits?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should we raise social benefits?

I’ve been thinking, and when I think, sometimes lots of weird thoughts come out of the windy cavity in my head.

These days, many of us could actually do our jobs anywhere in the world with internet access. We don’t really work 40 hour weeks; in between lots of cups of coffee, meetings or CUK visits, we have brainy productive moments; those moments are so productive that our clients can justify paying hefty amounts of money to benefit from them.

If we want to manufacture something, it doesn’t matter where we design the thing. It doesn’t even practically matter where we make it, as long as we can install the right machines and give the machine operators basic training.

Most jobs in Western Europe are now in service sectors. Even in Germany, Northern Italy and Britain, which were traditionally the industrial powerhouses of Europe, many more people are now employed selling services or consumer products or providing luxury services like beauty treatments, personal training and so on to the richer people in society.

We don’t really have many jobs for people who are only good at lugging stuff about or hitting things or smashing up rocks. Even in the building industry, employers need people who are literate enough to read and understand machine instructions, safety guidelines and so on. There are a few jobs going in agriculture in the few sectors where harvesting hasn’t been automated but by definition they are seasonal jobs.

This leaves us, the professional classes and skilled craftsperson classes, with a problem. What do we do with those people who are not smart enough to do the clever brainy work, not socially skilled enough to provide services where personality and friendliness are required, and in many cases not physically strong enough to join the army, which is significantly smaller than it used to be and requires more than just basic literacy?

Should we recognize that some people are basically ill equipped to survive in the modern economy, are unable to contribute, and in fact require so much management and instruction that their labour can never be productive? Perhaps we should then ensure that those people are paid a wage to stay out of the labour market. Not just a measly social benefit, but a generous wage and assistance so they can live decently, and at all times have an opportunity to join the ranks of the workers if they show they are able.

If we keep those people in poverty, they’re going to spend their time nicking our stuff, beating us up, smashing up bus stops and generally making a pain in the arse of themselves. What next?

We have to be careful to avoid 'ubermensch' and 'untermensch' type thoughts here, but how else can we deal with the fact that we just don't really have roles in society for the chronically thick?

Do we perhaps have to return to creating nonsense jobs for them? Deliberately not automate things that could be done by machines, to protect the society in which we live?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

I said last week that these people should be kept as far away from the working population as possible and we should stop encouraging them to breed by giving young Stacy-Ann a house as soon as she pops a sprog at 16.

Comment

We need to let evolution do it's work. Let them rot, and the world will get smarter.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

The South Koreans do not have this problem and they were nothing 50 years ago, what did they do?

Force feed the epsilons stir fried veg for a generation?

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          We need to let evolution do it's work. Let them rot, and the world will get smarter.
          Ah, but there will still be a range of genius-smart-average-stupid-subnormal. We’ll just have chavs who can actually spell ‘special brew’, but in relative terms will be just as useless.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

In general they will keep up with the requirements of modern life somewhat better than mollycoddled ones.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              You should watch idiocracy.

Idiots breed more than non-idiots, so eventually the non-idiots die out...
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

The world is a bit like that already. It's the safety net that causes it.

If you take it away those unable to survive will fall by the wayside.
                Last edited by doodab; 2 March 2010, 12:11.

Comment

we should use the money from benefits programmes to subsidise heavy industry and keep the population working

simples

Milan.

Comment

We should have a war against sentient robots. That will give us all something to do...
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X