• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does anybody know where the bailout money went?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anybody know where the bailout money went?

The credit crunch meant trillions of dollars of bailout money needed to be printed to stabilise the economy.

OK.

But where did it go? Defaults on mortages, and huge bankers bonuses alone do not come even close to accounting to where this money has gone.

Can anyone answer this? Or has this money been funnelled into a global governent under a haze of creative accounting, credit default swaps and political rehetoric?

If the global elite have trousered all this cash, what are they going to do with it? When?

If not them, then where has all the money gone?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Where do you think the money has gone? I'll give you a hint:

If you are overdrawn by £100 and I give you £100 to pay into your account what is the net result?
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
      Where do you think the money has gone? I'll give you a hint:

If you are overdrawn by £100 and I give you £100 to pay into your account what is the net result?
      Even if you bring all the overdrafts, loans and credit cards into the equation it STILL doesn't come close to accounting for the bailout money.

Comment

Which overdrafts, loans and credit cards? We bailed out the banks mess from US toxic debt exposure. The uk subprime hasn't exploded yet.
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          The credit crunch meant trillions of dollars of bailout money needed to be printed to stabilise the economy.

OK.

But where did it go? Defaults on mortages, and huge bankers bonuses alone do not come even close to accounting to where this money has gone.

Can anyone answer this? Or has this money been funnelled into a global governent under a haze of creative accounting, credit default swaps and political rehetoric?

If the global elite have trousered all this cash, what are they going to do with it? When?

If not them, then where has all the money gone?
          It has been lent to banks and also used to purchase quite a lot of assets, most of the UK retail banking sector and £200bn of bonds.

The bad debts held by banks spooked everybody and meant that they stopped lending money to each other. The point of the "bailout" was to lend them money (or in the case of Lloyds and RBS to recapitalise them, in return for a large share of the equity) so that they could in turn lend money, because the modern world runs on debt.

At some point, the banks will repay those loans and the semi nationalised ones will be sold, and our national debt won't look nearly as bad. Of course between now and then we have to unwind their dependency on state provided liquidity and service the debt, so it's not plain sailing, but IMO it's incongruous to look at 800bn of debt without also taking into account the 300bn or more of assets on the other side of the balance sheet.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I have it. Some is in a jam jar on a shelf in the kitchen the rest I used to buy some magic beans.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

A couple of links that show where the US bailout money has gone:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...s-graphic.html

http://bailout.propublica.org/main/list/index

The US govt has made billions of profit on it's loans to Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, BoA, JP Morgan Chase etc, many of which are now repaid. Not bad business really.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                A couple of links that show where the US bailout money has gone:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...s-graphic.html

http://bailout.propublica.org/main/list/index

The US govt has made billions of profit on it's loans to Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, BoA, JP Morgan Chase etc, many of which are now repaid. Not bad business really.
                OK so why does it need to borrow another 2Trn this year then just to stay afloat?

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                  The uk subprime hasn't exploded yet.
                  The likes of HBOS allegedly made a lot of subprime commercial loans - if you look at commercial property valuations they dropped like 50%. The same should have happened in the housing market but politically it was easier to order BoE print money and shaft remaining savers, pensioners in order to bail out overextended house "owners".

This surely would not have happened under Tories!

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    OK so why does it need to borrow another 2Trn this year then just to stay afloat?
                    Because the government spends more than it earns in taxes. This is only partially down to bailing out the banks, they also have to service their existing debt, fund two wars, and pay increasing amounts of social security and so on.

Comment

Working...
                    X