• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Argentina celebrates diplomatic coup as Hillary Clinton calls for talks over Falkland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Argentina celebrates diplomatic coup as Hillary Clinton calls for talks over Falkland

Argentina was celebrating a diplomatic coup today in its attempt to force Britain to accept talks on the future of the Falkland Islands, after an extraordinary two-hour meeting in Buenos Aires between Hillary Clinton and the country’s President Fernández de Kirchner.

Responding to a request from Mrs Kirchner for “friendly mediation” between Britain and Argentina, Mrs Clinton said she agreed that negotiations were a sensible way forward and offered “to encourage both countries to sit down”.

Her intervention defied Britain’s long-standing position that there should be no negotiations unless the islands’ 3,000 inhabitants asked for them.

It was hailed in Buenos Aires as a major diplomatic victory, but condemned in the Falklands. Britain insisted there was no need for mediation as long as the islanders wanted to remain British. “We don’t think that’s necessary,” a Downing Street spokesman said.

More: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7047309.ece

No more fighting in stupid American wars.

Pack your kit, wave goodbye to loved ones. We sail for the South Atlantic at dawn.

For the Falklands, for Freedom, for Glory!

You've got a British passport? Your coming too...

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post

I can't swim...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

I can't swim...
        It's ok, we have boats specifically to make sure you don't get your feet wet...

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operatio...ips/hms-ocean/
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Right now is when we should be making a huge political effort to help Chile. They supported us in 1982 and we may need them again.

Comment

Who's drilling for oil in the Falklands? Is it a government owned concern that could make the UK rich or is it a long sold off multinational conglomerate with an office in London?

I'm sure multinationaloil.inc doesn't really care which country it pays tax to.
            Last edited by gingerjedi; 2 March 2010, 23:50.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Seriously, AtW, when are you going to learn to read between the lines of the garbage in the Murdoch press - or even read the actual lines:
              (H. Clinton said) “We would like to see Argentina and the UK sit down and resolve the issues between them in a peaceful and productive way. We want very much to encourage both countries to sit down. We cannot make either one do so. We think it is the right way to proceed, so we will be saying this publicly.”

How ambiguous is that?

In case you have problems working it out (as Murdoch's lackeys seem to) let me translate: "We can't be doing with this tulip. Sort this tulip out. We won't sort this tulip out for you, but we think you guys sorting this tulip out without us having to get involved is the right way to proceed, so we will be saying this publicly. We don't give a tulip, just stop causing tulip and then dragging us in as if we're supposed to sort your tulip out for you. Fsck you. Get off my back and sort your tulip out yourselves. W4nkers."

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
                No more fighting in stupid American wars.

Pack your kit, wave goodbye to loved ones. We sail for the South Atlantic at dawn.

For the Falklands, for Freedom, for Glory!

Especially if you don't know your grammar and spelling
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
                  Right now is when we should be making a huge political effort to help Chile. They supported us in 1982 and we may need them again.
                  WHS.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    Who's drilling for oil in the Falklands? Is it a government owned concern that could make the UK rich or is it a long sold off multinational conglomerate with an office in London?

I'm sure multinationaloil.inc doesn't really care which country it pays tax to.
                    Neither, they are small exploration companies that will sell out to the big boys if they make suitable discoveries. One of the four having backing from BHP Billiton though. The UK will benefit in various ways. Tax revenue from these exploration companies and the Falklands Islands will cover its military costs are two.

It may all be about oil, but make no mistake that the Islands are British and the people who live there are and wish to remain British too.

Comment

Working...
                    X