• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Well, tonight thank God it's them instead of you

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, tonight thank God it's them instead of you

Have we done this one Linky

of the $100 million that went through the hands of the TPLF, 95% was allocated either to buy weapons or to build the hard-line party within the rebel movement - the Marxist Leninist League of Tigray.

Bet Bono's not fcking clapping now.
    Last edited by Pondlife; 3 March 2010, 09:06. Reason: missing s

It reminds me of the foreign aid question - one that needs to be addressed by the UK with the understanding that not only are we no longer a colonial power, we're no longer able to fund acts of largesse (especially not with my money!).

As has been said here before (I believe?), if India can afford its own space programme and we - it could well be argued - can't, why isn't the money flowing the other way, why aren't we receiving money from them in aid?

http://www.dfid.gov.uk/About-DFID/Qu...he-money-goes/

£3.3billion of aid direct to countries, another £2.2billion to international organisations such as the UN in grant-funding.

Still not enough to make me want to vote UKIP or BNP mind - but I'm a strong believer that, when the axe does start to fall on the civil service following the election, DFID should be one of the first places. It might only constitute (2008/9) 0.43% of gross national income but even still that's 0.43% that could be better used here in the UK solving some of the legion of problems which the UK suffers from.

/RANT

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
      It reminds me of the foreign aid question - one that needs to be addressed by the UK with the understanding that not only are we no longer a colonial power, we're no longer able to fund acts of largesse (especially not with my money!).

As has been said here before (I believe?), if India can afford its own space programme and we - it could well be argued - can't, why isn't the money flowing the other way, why aren't we receiving money from them in aid? ...
      Foreign aid is a refined form of bribe these days, with the one aim of helping British exports and getting access to cheap raw materials.

Despite appearances, it's one of the few expenditures most likely to benefit the UK (Not saying it always does, given the chimps that administer it and possibly don't always understand its real purpose, but it's worth a try.)
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Foreign aid is a refined form of bribe these days, with the one aim of helping British exports and getting access to cheap raw materials.

Despite appearances, it's one of the few expenditures most likely to benefit the UK (Not saying it always does, given the chimps that administer it and possibly don't always understand its real purpose, but it's worth a try.)

WHS. The aid budget is chickenfeed compared with the trade value of some of those countries.
        Although I agree that aid to Africa should cease forthwith, for their own sake rather than ours, as many African economists are beginning to argue.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          WHS. The aid budget is chickenfeed compared with the trade value of some of those countries.
          Although I agree that aid to Africa should cease forthwith, for their own sake rather than ours, as many African economists are beginning to argue.
          ...and as P J O'Rourke pointed out nearly 20 years ago in his book "Eat The Rich".

Comment

give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day

give a man a sasguru, and his ears will fall off

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day

half a day after Capital Gains Tax and income tax
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Aid is only worthwhile when there is proper government in the country concerned to ensure it properly used. Most water aid is wasted too, the wells just fall into disrepair because there is no infrastructure to maintain them.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

We don't give money to make them feel better, we give money to make us feel better.

One of the reasons I very rarely give to charity, I can accept my wealth and other's suffering as 2 seperate things. I have not profited from their suffering so they should not profit from my suffering.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    We don't give money to make them feel better, we give money to make us feel better.

One of the reasons I very rarely give to charity, I can accept my wealth and other's suffering as 2 seperate things. I have not profited from their suffering so they should not profit from my suffering.
                    well said son.

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X