• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cooked Spuds

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooked Spuds

Watched an interesting programme on telly last night
    Horizon - it asked whether cooking led to a leap forward in Human evolution.

'Homo habilis was about a metre tall with long, swinging arms – not much to look at, apparently, but clever. Habilis had a bigger brain (50% bigger) than his forebear, Australopithecus. Was this down to his diet?'

Basically the theory is that when you cook food, a spud for example, some of the components explode and make them increase dramatically in nutritional value. In addition, cooked food requires much less energy to process, so the body gains twice.

This massive surplus of energy meant that some of the weaker members of the population did not die out, so individuals with smaller guts, but big brains, now had a chance to survive. These individuals then did better, by virtue of the bigger brains , and so progressed in a self-stoking cycle. In the end, the population was left with the small-gutted big brained types that led on to us.

Quite an interesting idea

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

Quite an interesting idea
    Yes, but I don't envy the bloke that had to chew raw potato...
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      Yes, but I don't envy the bloke that had to chew raw potato...
      Why did he do that? Surely he could've used a liquidiser - unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        Maltase I think.

Wasn't following it to much as I was killing terrorists and Russian ultra-nationalists at the time.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          The limiting factor is the female pelvic opening vs brain size thingie.

Too big a brain & oooooops.
          Surely it's the female pelvic opening - or man's knowledge of such - that has stunted the development of the male brain.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            he had to get the right amount of spit in.

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              he had to get the right amount of spit in.

He didn't appear to do that with the cooked potato though.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                The limiting factor is the female pelvic opening vs brain size thingie.

Too big a brain & oooooops.
                maybe we should have a CUK competition to design the perfectly evolved human. i.e.

Long cylindrical head, to navigate the birth canal.
                Mouth situated on the ribcage to be closer to the stomache.
                An extra eyeball on the back of the head.
                A fat - burner button, to maintain a constant BMI

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)

Comment

<pedant alert>

I don’t know if spuds are the right example seeing as they were only found in the Americas until the 16th century. Turnips might be a better example.

</pedant alert>
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    <pedant alert>

I don’t know if spuds are the right example seeing as they were only found in the Americas until the 16th century. Turnips might be a better example.

</pedant alert>
                    I think these were African sweet potatoes.

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)

Comment

Working...
                    X