• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Southampton area

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Southampton area

Is it a good place for a family living? Any nice place nearby? I see that is also kind of commut(ish)able to London/Surrey.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Lots of beaches
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Lots of beaches
      So in Holland too but the summer I was there, there wasn't any sunny day to enjoy.
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
        Is it a good place for a family living? Any nice place nearby? I see that is also kind of commut(ish)able to London/Surrey.
        He he - coming back then after so many posts slagging off the UK?
        Ne-er-do-wells try all sorts of things but the one thing they can't leave behind is themselves.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

So in Holland too but the summer I was there, there wasn't any sunny day to enjoy.
          No, but there are lots of things you can do on a beach without sunshine. Try kite surfing, sandyacht racing, kite jumping and my personal favouorite, watching the training sessions of the Netherlands national ladies beach volleyball team.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Have a look around Petersfield - nice area & prices not so extortionate as they are in N. Hampshire (at least not last time I looked). Commutable to London / Surrey I guess.

Comment

tulip town, very badly planned. (Just compare Southampton with its cousin Rotterdam)
              Poor roads, has a very expensive traffic management system that gives red lights to traffic in order to discourage cars from driving in the city.

One of the worst train services for reliability

On the plus side, if you are a Muslim; it has over twenty mosques.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

What about somewhere like Chichester?

Comment

I live off J7 on the M27. The local station has a direct service to London Waterloo that takes 1hr 35mins. We thought about moving a couple of years ago (we moved here 7 years ago) but really like the area (schools, friends, etc). A sort drive to the New Forest, Southampton/Portsmouth town centres, woodland walks, good local amenities, etc make this a pretty good place for a family.

Word of warning though, you may need to change your football alliegance....they're pretty passionate about their local team (currently languishing in League 1).
                  Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    He he - coming back then after so many posts slagging off the UK?
                    Ne-er-do-wells try all sorts of things but the one thing they can't leave behind is themselves.
                    That's not like you to be gloating at others......

Comment

Working...
                    X