• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quote of the day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote of the day

Colleague: <sigh> <huff> <mutter, mutter>
    Chef: everything alright?
    Colleague: hmm not really, I wanna get this working before I go
    Chef: what is it you're trying to do?
    Colleague: well, right now im trying to debug the problem to a file called OhForF#cksSake.txt and even that isn't going too well..
    Chef: hmm I'll leave you to it then, beer later?
    Colleague: yup, definitely
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

It's probably treating everything after the # as a comment.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      It's probably treating everything after the # as a comment.
      Beat me to it.

Tell him he should restrict himself to alphanumeric filenames without hash marks.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Beat me to it.

Tell him he should restrict himself to alphanumeric filenames without hash marks.
        Filename's too long! 8 & 3!!!

Comment

the file is spelt correctly, I just assumed the swear filter would block it so I added the #
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Quote of the Day

Today I heard a technical architect say something to a junior procurement bod that I shall add to my Pearls of Wisdom list:

"A professional organisation such as ours should not be downloading and using free-to-download bloody software, FFS!"

He has now indoctrinated this young software and hardware procurement officer in the belief that all software must be paid for to be of any worth.

Twat.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              Today I heard a technical architect say something to a junior procurement bod that I shall add to my Pearls of Wisdom list:

"A professional organisation such as ours should not be downloading and using free-to-download bloody software, FFS!"

He has now indoctrinated this young software and hardware procurement officer in the belief that all software must be paid for to be of any worth.

Twat.
              watch im

he'll be trouble

still if you ever catch him using Firefox, notepad++, open office, GIMP, java, you can pounce

gggrrrrr your a tiiiiiiiiiiigger
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                watch im

he'll be trouble

still if you ever catch him using Firefox, notepad++, open office, GIMP, java, you can pounce

gggrrrrr your a tiiiiiiiiiiigger
                Or Linux, Apache, Tomcat, Oracle Database, Websphere, MQ, VMWare, eclipse, Visual Studio or solaris

All free to download and demo or use.

What are they using?
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  What are they using?
                  Whatever the consultancies tell them to use. Needless to say, they're big on SAP.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

However I got a draft contract from a major supplier the other day, worth around £25m over the next few years. The last page had the banner "PDF produced by xxxx, free for non-commercial use"....

Trivial but my client is in law enforcement, and it made for an interesting conversation with the sales team, starting with "Why are you using illegal software?"
                    Last edited by malvolio; 4 March 2010, 08:16.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X