• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rip off merchants in this world

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rip off merchants in this world

So who are the blatant rip off merchants in this world?
    1. Gillette:- Their blades cost them 5 pence to manufacture in Vietnam but they control prices at more than 2 quid per blade.
    2. Printer manufacturers:- The printer cartridges cost them next to nothing to manufacture but still they have the audacity to sell at a huge markup.
    3. Coke/Pepsi:- How much for carbonated water with some flavour?
    4. Bottled water:- How much for water?
    5. Strawberries in supermarkets:- 2 quids for a small container. Ripoff!

Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

I worked with a girl from Gillette.

Proctor and Gamble own Gillette and Duracell.

She said the profit margin on batteries to the consumer was around 80% markup.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
      [LIST=1][*]Gillette:- Their blades cost them 5 pence to manufacture in Vietnam but they control prices at more than 2 quid per blade.

And every time you buy a f**king new razor they bring out a new improved version with even more blades, an electronic vibration function and an even higher price, then phase out the old one and you can’t get any bloody razor blades any more.

Oh, and vacuum cleaner bags. FFS, why isn't there a standardised bag?
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Contact lenses. They can't cost more than fractions of a penny to manufacture and yet cost an absolute fortune. Also, to buy them you have to have a similarly highly expensive sight test every year or so. There must be price fixing going on - how do they prevent India or China from completely walking all over this cosy state of affairs?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          And every time you buy a f**king new razor they bring out a new improved version with even more blades, an electronic vibration function and an even higher price, then phase out the old one and you can’t get any bloody razor blades any more.

Oh, and vacuum cleaner bags. FFS, why isn't there a standardised bag?
          Stop worrying. Grow a beard and get a cleaner.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

1. Gillette:- Their blades cost them 5 pence to manufacture in Vietnam but they control prices at more than 2 quid per blade.
            2. Printer manufacturers:- The printer cartridges cost them next to nothing to manufacture but still they have the audacity to sell at a huge markup.

Where does the first recruitment agent come on the list?
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I don't use/buy any of the above for the reason mentioned.

I've become a right tight arse, I can't remember the last time I payed full price for anything?

DIY superstores charging £1.99 for a little packet 10 screws when you can buy a box off 200 for the same price at a builders yard, that annoys me.

Fuel tax, alcohol tax, road tax...
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                Where does the first recruitment agent come on the list?

Sorry, just consumer products are being discussed at the moment. Your time will come.
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

I only use disposable razors now. about £2 for a pack for 10 list time I bought them. I use one for about a month, not bad.

Coke et al - completely unhealthy drinks that keep dentists busy - haven't had a coke in 20 years. can't even remember what it tastes like.

Each of these is a fraction of the price in developing countries - tis the entire developed world that is being ripped off on most things.

Still haven't yet found that tree with money growing on it yet. Any idea where it could be. Apparently we each have one in our back garden.
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    Contact lenses. They can't cost more than fractions of a penny to manufacture and yet cost an absolute fortune. Also, to buy them you have to have a similarly highly expensive sight test every year or so. There must be price fixing going on - how do they prevent India or China from completely walking all over this cosy state of affairs?
                    Tesco are doing free eye tests now.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X