• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Banks and 12 / 24 month termination

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banks and 12 / 24 month termination

Hi Guys,

Can someone tell me why the banks incorporate a ruling whereby any contractor onsite for 12 / 24 months or longer must be terminated and not allowed to return in the future?

Is this an internal policy (if so why) or legislation (worried about contractors claiming employment rights after a certain amount of time).

Please help if you can as I am about to ne confronted with this issue?

Thanks,

Oliver6634

I did hear something along these lines, through a tel. interview, i.e. did it worry me, but I can't remember the circumstances. I assumed it was one of these rules that would get sidelined, so would be interesting to know what is happening. I suspect there are always exceptions. So if they can't do without you they won't. Otherwise just plan for the 12/24 months. Not hiring ever again sounds a bit extreme. On the good side, there will be plenty of jobs as they'll have to replace all those contractors. So you need to identify about 10-20 banks and work your way through them.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 4 March 2010, 17:42.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

I suppose that's an original way of justifying "We can't source anybody from the UK; can we have some more work permits?"
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

My last international banking client is introducing a 47 week on site rule. God knows why though.

Can only think its HR getting the jitters contractors who may be IR35 caught would sue for employee benefits and, getting rid of people after 47 weeks(!?) somehow negates that.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Heard this from London agent this morning.

Another point for Tata Computer Services

Comment

It is supposed to be something to do with difference between contractor and permie and tax situation or something but I hear thats a load of codswallop and its HR's that have got it wrong. I have been to a number of gigs with 24 week rule, banking and others.

They do enforce it most of the time but the way round it is to put you through which ever managed service account is working with the client to get you off headcount so away from this rule.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

not all banks do this though

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver6634 View Post
                Can someone tell me why the banks incorporate a ruling whereby any contractor onsite for 12 / 24 months or longer must be terminated and not allowed to return in the future?
                Because they don't understand the law. They don't understand the 24 month rule. Some time back there was a temp who claimed unfair dismissal and argued that he was an employee and won. Some clients are worried that contractors will be deemed employees based on the length of time they are there, because they are stupid.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Because they don't understand the law. They don't understand the 24 month rule. Some time back there was a temp who claimed unfair dismissal and argued that he was an employee and won. Some clients are worried that contractors will be deemed employees based on the length of time they are there, because they are stupid.
                  OTOH, the way this Government is increasingly encouraging retrospective tax rulings, and supposedly have banks in their sights, one can't blame the banks for turning paranoid.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                  X