• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU 'Green' taxes on the way

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EU 'Green' taxes on the way

The European Union is drawing up plans for its first direct tax with a "green" levy on petrol, coal and natural gas that could cost British consumers up to £3 billion.

Proposals expected to be announced next month would give the EU its first funding which would not come from national governments.
    Algirdas Semeta, the new European commissioner for taxation, is planning a "minimum rate of tax on carbon" across the whole EU as a "priority".

The plan to push for more financial independence from national governments comes as the EU attempts to build a more powerful position in the world.

Following the new Lisbon Treaty, the EU now has an expensive array of new institutions including a new President of Europe and a foreign minister with her own diplomatic service.

Hervé Jouanjean, Director General of the European Commission's Budget department, recently told a Brussels audience that the EU was "very close to paralysis" because of the reluctance of stretched national treasuries to give it funding
    bollocks
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Originally posted by Troll View Post
    I think I already did a thread on this or similar however, when I listened to the discussion on this on R4 some weeks ago the plan was to tax all carbon emissions. Your house or business would be assessed for the amount of energy used and a green tax would follow. The tax will affect everything from domestic electricity to aviation fuel.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      I think I already did a thread on this or similar however, when I listened to the discussion on this on R4 some weeks ago the plan was to tax all carbon emissions. Your house or business would be assessed for the amount of energy used and a green tax would follow. The tax will affect everything from domestic electricity to aviation fuel.
      Excellent news. It's the only way to prevent the end of mankind due to the impending destruction of the planet through Global Warming.

I reckon £1000 per day levy on every person in the UK should sort it out. Just what Britain needs.

Comment

Working...
      X