• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Met Office

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Met Office

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8551416.stm

The Met Office is to stop publishing seasonal forecasts, after it came in for criticism for failing to predict extreme weather.

...It was berated for not foreseeing that the UK would suffer this cold winter or the last three wet summers in its seasonal forecasts.

...'seasonal forecasts' cannot be as precise as our short-term forecasts.

...very hard to forecast much beyond a week".

But they can predict global warming...
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Category Error.

Wierd, huh? But then I have no idea what the temperature will be around here in a fortnight. But I can be pretty confident its likely to be quite a bit warmer come July.

How can that possibly be?
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Warmer than last summer I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
        Wierd, huh? But then I have no idea what the temperature will be around here in a fortnight. But I can be pretty confident its likely to be quite a bit warmer come July.

it's because the earth is tilted at an angle with regards to the sun. It wasnt me that did it though

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Warmer than last summer I hope.
          It'll be a little cooler than last summer, sorry.

I can does long term forecasts like. And you know what. Mine are more accurate than the Met offices, 'cause mine are based on science.

HTH

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post

Indeed, but the earth continuing to rotate around the sun and being at a slight tilt is not something that requires any complicated prediction. It would be extrodinary if either of those things changed, and so we can all say with virtual certainty that summer will have higher average temperatures than winter. And we're not talking about tiny differences in instruments that only a few with dubious motives have access to. We all know it to be true, because we can all feel and see the difference, and even somebody who chose to reject all science would still know from the way that this is such a major part of the way we live, and of our culture, that this has been going on for at least thousands of years.

The "virtual certainty" of man made CO2 emissions causing the climate change falls some way short of that mark.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

funny how with CO2 science being so certain that are plenty of scientitss questioning it, who need to be challenged:

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/03/0...ds/#more-16992
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
              X