• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Preventing public finances spiralling out of control". by Gordon Brown

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Preventing public finances spiralling out of control". by Gordon Brown

Prime Minister Gordon Brown defended his decision to curb defence spending after the Iraq invasion while appearing before Sir John Chilcot's inquiry into the war.

He told the Chilcot Inquiry that the move was necessary to prevent public finances spiralling out of control. (AtW's comment: *speechless*)

But he insisted he provided money every time defence chiefs asked for new equipment.

Mr Brown said paying for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan - which have cost Britain about £18 billion in total - did not result in cuts to other services.

But he acknowledged: ''It's a very sizeable sum of money.''

In 2002, the Ministry of Defence used new Whitehall accounting rules to claim it had achieved efficiency savings of £1.3 billion which it had intended to spend on new equipment.

But Mr Brown said there was no proof that the savings had been achieved.

''The Ministry of Defence were planning to spend 9 per cent additional cash that year. They had been allocated 3.6 per cent. If we had every department doing what the Ministry of Defence was doing, we would have had the extra cost of £12 billion which would be the equivalent of raising income tax by 3p in the pound,'' he said.

Former MoD permanent secretary Sir Kevin Tebbit previously told the inquiry that, after Mr Brown instituted his ''guillotine'', he had been forced to run the department on a ''crisis budget''. (AtW's comment: Kind Sir could have resigned in protest)

However, Mr Brown insisted that the MoD had still been left with more money than it had been allocated in the 2002 Government Spending Review.

''The Ministry of Defence ended up with more money than had been expected originally,'' he said.

Mr Brown said he assured Tony Blair in mid 2002 that money would be no object to military action.

''I told him that I would not - and this was right at the beginning - I would not try to rule out any military option on the grounds of cost, quite the opposite,'' he said

He went on to grant ''every single request'' from the armed forces.

''I said that every single request for equipment had to be met and every request was met,'' he said.

The Prime Minister was asked how much impact the conflict had on Britain's finances.

He replied: ''I think the effects of the Iraq invasion are far less than, for example, the effects of the global financial crisis on the economy.'

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ing-curbs.html

--------------

If Prince Harry serves in placed like Afghanistan why ain't MPs required to send their sons and daughters there? Maybe that would make war decision making a bit more sensible.

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    If Prince Harry serves in placed like Afghanistan why ain't MPs required to send their sons and daughters there?
    Because their sons and daughters are free to make their own decisions. I don't think anyone made Harry go to Afghanistan.

What we could do with perhaps are a few more people with experience of the services going into politics. Paddy Ashdown always seemed a decent bloke, we could use a few more like him.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      Because their sons and daughters are free to make their own decisions. I don't think anyone made Harry go to Afghanistan.

What we could do with perhaps are a few more people with experience of the services going into politics. Paddy Ashdown always seemed a decent bloke, we could use a few more like him.
      I believe that ATW ‘s point is that it is hypocritical to expect other people’s sons to go to war it the person advocating war is not willing to make their own sacrifices. Gordon Brown is a Berk in the cockney rhyming sense.

GB also said that he leaned lessons such as there need’s to be a plan of how to deal with a country after invasion. Strange that Joe Public knew this. Either GB is too stupid to be prime minister or he is lying and thinks that Joe Public is too stupid.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        I believe that ATW ‘s point is that it is hypocritical to expect other people’s sons to go to war it the person advocating war is not willing to make their own sacrifices. Gordon Brown is a Berk in the cockney rhyming sense.
        I see his point, but these people weren't sacrificed to the army by their parents. They chose to join it.

I'm not suggesting that Gordo isn't a twat, but presumably these people were aware that armies fight wars when they joined up. They could have not joined the army, or wait until the right war came along.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
        X