• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nixon Williams Spam

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nixon Williams Spam

Anyone else started getting the Nixon Williams spam?

Started with "Offshore Tax Schemes" and is now "Spring 2010 newsletter". Asked to be taken off several times now.. but seems to fall on deaf ears there.

They got us on their list after we asked for a quote for abbreviated and full accounts... and now we can't get off!

They couldn't quote for just what we wanted, so we're still looking. cheers

Originally posted by richy View Post
    Anyone else started getting the Nixon Williams spam?

Started with "Offshore Tax Schemes" and is now "Spring 2010 newsletter". Asked to be taken off several times now.. but seems to fall on deaf ears there.

They got us on their list after we asked for a quote for abbreviated and full accounts... and now we can't get off!

They couldn't quote for just what we wanted, so we're still looking. cheers
    Get in touch with them again informing them that if they do not take your details off their systems within 4 weeks, that you will be in touch with the Data Protection Commissioner. They will be more than happy to investigate and possibly fine the company for being in breach of the act.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Data protection? Against a Limited Company whose details are in the public domain...?

I don't think so.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Data protection? Against a Limited Company whose details are in the public domain...?

I don't think so.
        Looks like Nixon Williams are making full use of this loop hole!

..Let's hope they don't take such an unprincipled stance with their professional accounts work eh?

Cheers, rich

Comment

See, you're another one who doesn't seem to distinguish between personal and corporate. It's not exploiting a loophole, it's indulging in simple B2B marketing.

Not saying it's right or even particularly good practice, but you can't have it both ways.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Read into the practice what you like about NW, though, eh?

I got a quote off NW but I thought that their ways of working by having to copy and send every receipt, document etc.. to them was a very tedious and extremely 19th century quill pen and ink style of working compared to the more modern systems that some book keeping firms use.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

I don't think so.
              Wouldn't that depend on where they got the email from?

If the OP made an enquiry about NW's services, and then decided that they didn't want to go ahead, then NW cannot spam him.

Well they can, but he can ask for his details to be removed from their spamming list.
              If she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood. And therefore a witch!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                Read into the practice what you like about NW, though, eh?

I got a quote off NW but I thought that their ways of working by having to copy and send every receipt, document etc.. to them was a very tedious and extremely 19th century quill pen and ink style of working compared to the more modern systems that some book keeping firms use.
                Takes me maybe 30 mins tops to scan my receipts every month, fill in the spreadsheet and email it all to NW. Arming my accountants with a full picture of expenditure hardly seems 19 century. It actually forces me into the better habit of assembling and cataloging my receipts, which ultimately I'm responsible for.

Comment

Our recent emails have been sent to one of three categories, Existing Clients, Past Clients or People who have made enquiries regarding our services.

I have sent the OP a PM with an offer to remove his details, I also sent him a PM in 2008 when he complaining about mail through the post, I never received a reply so perhaps he is still on our list?

If he or indeed anyone wishes us to cease sending them mail or emails contact the office or email myself and it will be sorted.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                    A client does not have to copy and send in receipts - most choose to do so as it enables us to make checks and hopefully keep a client compliant with HMRC etc.

From our experience, when we take on clients from other accountants, blind use of spreadsheets can be very limiting and errors are often seen.

Examples of issues include, no mileage logs kept for business journeys, incorrect Flat Rate VAT used because an invoice has been entered onto a spreadsheet incorrectly, expenses not claimed in the correct way.

All of these do not arise with our clientrs if they have taken advantage of our checking system. Spreadsheets cannot do this for you.

Having said all that, if a client prefers not to do this, this is fine by us, however we cannot check what we do not see.

I hope this explains.

Alan

Comment

Working...
                    X