• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What do you make of this after an interview?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you make of this after an interview?

Well, I went for an interview last week for a really nice 9 to 12 month job that is offering way over my current rate. Interview went OK, client was a bit nervous that the job is darn sarf and I'd have to commute from north west weekly, but technically I think it went generally OK.

Agent (who I don't really know) gave me some feedback yesterday along the lines of- "Client will probably want another interview, probably over the phone though. They want more information about you as a team player. Have you got a couple of decent references that I can pass on?".

Now then, I think detected a bit of nervousness in the pimps voice, and I wasn't convinced that he was telling the whole truth. I thought it best, on balance, to send over a couple of references. They'll do the bloke no use as warm leads because one referees now lives in Oz and the other in the USA. But I can't help having a feeling that I've been done over here? What does the experts panel think?
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Well, I went for an interview last week for a really nice 9 to 12 month job that is offering way over my current rate. Interview went OK, client was a bit nervous that the job is darn sarf and I'd have to commute from north west weekly, but technically I think it went generally OK.

Agent (who I don't really know) gave me some feedback yesterday along the lines of- "Client will probably want another interview, probably over the phone though. They want more information about you as a team player. Have you got a couple of decent references that I can pass on?".

Now then, I think detected a bit of nervousness in the pimps voice, and I wasn't convinced that he was telling the whole truth. I thought it best, on balance, to send over a couple of references. They'll do the bloke no use as warm leads because one referees now lives in Oz and the other in the USA. But I can't help having a feeling that I've been done over here? What does the experts panel think?
    Sounds like it.

Comment

Yep, thought so! At least the pimp will get nothing out of those references, they're useless for fishing trips.

Comment

You never know - if you get the phone interview, ask them whether the agent passed on the references.

I have two referees that I use because I have worked for them before, they don't mind being contacted by agents, and they have no use to agents because their employers do not deal with contractors.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCE2 of Darkness
          I think you know the answer.

Keep looking and applying.
          WHS
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

We'll see if the phone interview happens, but I have my doubts in that direction.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              WHS
              I think you're right. If so, it's an agency to cross off my list. I don't like liars, but for now they have the benefit of the doubt on their side.

Comment

It sounds like you've flunked the interview, the client has come back umming and ahhing and if any better candidates fail to apply you;re still in with a chance.

The bit about teamwork is interesting though. Were you all +ve, I enjoy working with a team, the team and I, we did this, we did that.. or did you give it the johnny big bananas, 'I had to pull them out of this', 'I had to do this', 'I was the best', ' I delivered project a on my jack jones when everyone else posted on the internet'. Me me me!

At which point, it's a valid response.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCE2 of Darkness
                  I suggest you don't bother blacklisting agencies just because of the behaviour of one agent. Especially when they have managed to get you an interview.
                  The agency didn't get him an interview, he got it on the strength of his CV. And you should blacklist agencies if they have a certain 'corporate culture'.

He may have screwed up a little bit, so a second phone interview is fair enough but asking for references would set loads of alarm bells going for me (and I wouldn't have supplied the refs).
                  I hope it pans out ...
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                    The agency didn't get him an interview, he got it on the strength of his CV. And you should blacklist agencies if they have a certain 'corporate culture'.

He may have screwed up a little bit, so a second phone interview is fair enough but asking for references would set loads of alarm bells going for me (and I wouldn't have supplied the refs).
                    I hope it pans out ...
                    Frankly I dont see the point of blacklisting agencies. I see the point of putting a note about them in your own application process, but cutting off your own nose Zippy is frankly idiotic.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X