• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Eyecare expenses?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eyecare expenses?

just had an eye test this weekend (old age setting in!) and told i need glasses for reading and computer work, given thats 90% of my work!

can i claim anything back via the company?
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

You can claim the cost of the eye test no quibble.

As for the cost of the glasses, you can only claim for them if you only need them for work.
    Still Invoicing

Comment

When I was a permie, my employer gave me a free eyetest voucher.

After the eyetest, the optician said I could do with glasses as I was slightly long sighted so it would be helpful when reading small text.

Can't remember if I asked or he did it himself, but he specified on the prescription that the glasses were needed for VDU work only.

Showed this to HR who then gave me a £50 voucher towards a pair of glasses.

Comment

Nice thread. Forgot I could do that. I need some new stronger glasses to work at Clientco.

Sweet.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCE2 of Darkness
          I have been wearing glasses since I was at school, so I have never been allowed to claim for specs or eye tests.

Nice one 4 eyes. I specifically need mine for working with computers only. Bloody things give me migraine!
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCE2 of Darkness
            I have been wearing glasses since I was at school, so I have never been allowed to claim for specs or eye tests.

Check again.
            You can claim for eye tests.

It is the responsibility of the employer to pay for an anual eye test for all employees that use computers in the main part of their job.
            Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
              Check again.
              You can claim for eye tests.

It is the responsibility of the employer to pay for an anual eye test for all employees that use computers in the main part of their job.
              WHS.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Nice one 4 eyes. I specifically need mine for working with computers only. Bloody things give me migraine!
                Ever feel you're in the wrong job?
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Then you need to find out why.

Your glasses shouldn't be giving you migraines.

Oh and strangely the opticians I use are happy to test my eyes to see if I need glasses to work on computers and write it on the prescription even though I wear glasses already.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Maybe its re-reading the crap on the screen after you have finished typing thats giving you the migrane???
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X