• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ooops they did it again: Shoppers could face VAT on food

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooops they did it again: Shoppers could face VAT on food

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...T-on-food.html

'The imposition of VAT on groceries is being actively considered by Whitehall officials as a radical means of reducing the national deficit. '

Oh Dear.

Milan.

So they're going to put a tax on food, and hike it's price, using a tax intended to ensure the price of food remains low and stable.

You could not make it up.

Well, I suppose in the context of barmy schemes this government dreams up, it would appear quite logical.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

We've just started preparing our super new vegetable patch for this year, none of that supermarket rubbish for us.

<placeholder for 'homeowners arable land tax' here>

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
        We've just started preparing our super new vegetable patch for this year, none of that supermarket rubbish for us.

I'm sure they'll introduce a gardening tax to prevent "tax avoidance" on VAT on foods.

Seriously I don't think this will happen. I think VAT to 20% will happen instead.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
          I'm sure they'll introduce a gardening tax to prevent "tax avoidance" on VAT on foods.
          And it will be retrospective to catch those that have been gardening for years.

The estate of the late Percy Thrower is particularly vulnerable.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Looking wishfully at a rather large and tasty looking lump of beef in the supermarket for circa £20 yesterday, I was thinking, forget gold, shares, etc, anyone who invested in beef a few years ago would be a millionaire today, and own a lot of ripe beef. I bought a can of soup instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post

They can't tax what grows in my plant pots............
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                They can't tax what grows in my plant pots............
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                  Nothing so exciting unfortunately.

Do you want a chilli? Or a carrot? Or some salad leaves?
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Beef is terribly expensive now, doubled in price in the last 10 years I would think. A sunday roast is now a very expensive meal to make and you would probably be paying about 5 quid for the meat for one person.

I am trying to get an allotment just now, 15 year waiting list round these parts. What is the point really in wating. Shed loads of council land that could be turned over for this purpose near me but could you see tesco happy with everyone growing their own food.

Comment

Working...
                    X