• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT Finishing School

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT Finishing School

Based on some IT people I have met we could do with one of these over here
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

I tell them, if you want to become a software programmer, first you must become a salesman
    some truth in that!
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

There's a whole bit on the fact that developers lack social skills and that their form of communication is all electronic.

I said this in a thread a few weeks ago and was accused of winding People up !

The only problem I see with this is, IT contractors are a notoriously bunch of tight arses! And you'd never get any of the Scottish ones to sign up!
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

"These students have been through an education system which emphasises rote learning, they are not taught to think and speak, so the system churns out enough numbers, but not enough suitable candidates."

Interestingly that's the problem I've had with some people educated overseas.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The Indians do need a finishing school, their professional manner can be quite atrocious really.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            The Indians do need a finishing school, their professional manner can be quite atrocious really.
            In my experience, it's not that they have bad manners or are unprofessional, it's their broken English and failure to understand simple instructions that is the problem.

As it happens, it's not just the IT bods, my friend who is a chemical engineer had the same issues when dealing with outsourced work.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
              In my experience, it's not that they have bad manners or are unprofessional, it's their broken English and failure to understand simple instructions that is the problem.

As it happens, it's not just the IT bods, my friend who is a chemical engineer had the same issues when dealing with outsourced work.
              We are still talking about the Scots here right?
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
              X