• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a car from a dealer advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a car from a dealer advice

Ok this might sound a bit stupid but I haven't had to buy a car from a dealer is as long as I can remember due to company cars etc etc... so...what to do...

I have the car spotted. Seen dealer and had a look but not shown enough interest to take it for a drive. Lets say its around 14k and 2k cheaper than Glass guide.
    Money is in debit account, don't particualarly want to take it out cash, or is it worthwhile doing so to help negotiation. Is this putting the cash on the table bit a load of rubbish?

How flexible can they be in the current climate bearing in mind it's under glass's guide already. He has only had it 2 weeks.

Should I have it AA checked before I agree a price or after agreement but obviously before payment?

Sorry for dumb question but been so long since I stepped foot in a dealer I feel like a complete noob!!
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Ok this might sound a bit stupid but I haven't had to buy a car from a dealer is as long as I can remember due to company cars etc etc... so...what to do...

I have the car spotted. Seen dealer and had a look but not shown enough interest to take it for a drive. Lets say its around 14k and 2k cheaper than Glass guide.
    Money is in debit account, don't particualarly want to take it out cash, or is it worthwhile doing so to help negotiation. Is this putting the cash on the table bit a load of rubbish?

How flexible can they be in the current climate bearing in mind it's under glass's guide already. He has only had it 2 weeks.

Should I have it AA checked before I agree a price or after agreement but obviously before payment?

Sorry for dumb question but been so long since I stepped foot in a dealer I feel like a complete noob!!
    the cash thing doesnt work any more. (well it hasnt worked for me the last few years)
    they seem to be suprised when you dont want finance, and I think it puts them out a bit

sign of the times maybe

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      the cash thing doesnt work any more. (well it hasnt worked for me the last few years)
      they seem to be suprised when you dont want finance, and I think it puts them out a bit

sign of the times maybe

True, it doesn't, though sometimes they are willing to negotiate on finance terms.

I bought a car a couple of years back and they were offering 0% finance on other models except the one I wanted, If they are desperate for a sale, which they are they will give you terms.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Yep, it's the opposite these days. They get commission on finance.

Also a lot of dealers won't take more than a certain % in cash as they're worried it's from dodgy sources and a form of laundering.

Comment

You can't buy car for cash these days?

Comment

Dealers always prefer customers who take out finance nowadays so the days of slapping your wad (of cash) on the table to impress are long gone.

Several months ago, there was a distinct shortage of decent second hand cars in the market due to people holding onto their cars for longer due to the recession. As such, second hand car values were up so dealers didn't need to discount. Not so sure about now but my guess is it is still the same.

Most dealers don't really give discounts unless the car has been sat there for a while.

You mention that the car you are interested in is already cheaper than it should be which would raise questions in my mind.

Dealers are not known for selling cars below market price without a reason so I would suggest you investigate this further.
            Last edited by Clippy; 7 March 2010, 21:06. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              You can't buy car for cash these days?
              you can, but it takes them by suprise a bit.

Top Tip NUKL - I discovered this by accident. Use the same dealer a couple of times on the run, build up a semi relationship, then when you tell him the car is only for a year before you churn it,
              they throw in all sorts of goodies.

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Always worth looking for a deal at the beginning of the month, they don't know if they're gonna hit their target. End of the month they've sold enough and are complacent etc.

Or not, always a chance.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                  You mention that the car you are interested in is already cheaper than it should be which would raise questions in my mind.

Dealers are not known for selling cars below market price without a reason so I would suggest you investigate this further.
                  Thats why I intend to get the AA check thing but it is a convertible and impractical kinda car so not the type that is shifting right well just at this moment in time. I notice on Autotrade the picture has the higher price as well so it looks like he did try for a bit.

Will make double sure though thanks.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Thats why I intend to get the AA check thing but it is a convertible and impractical kinda car so not the type that is shifting right well just at this moment in time. I notice on Autotrade the picture has the higher price as well so it looks like he did try for a bit.

Will make double sure though thanks.
                    Actually, now, and the next few weeks, is exactly the time people start to think about buying a convertible.

The best time to buy one is in Winter but now we are heading into Spring and with the days getting longer, convertible sales will start to rise.

Something else you could do, is research the car model in more detail.

So, if it is a BMW, find some BMW forums and search through posts by current/past owners. It's a good way of finding out about common faults in a particular model as well as if it has been the subject of any manufacturer recalls. This way, you can ask the dealer if appropriate remedial work has been done and ask for proof.

Comment

Working...
                    X