• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Winter walking in Glen Coe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter walking in Glen Coe

There are a lot of kilted types on here.

Going with a group of friend to Glen Coe/Fort William in 10 days time.

Advice on routes would be appreciated:

I was thinking of attempting the following
    • Anach Egach
    • Ring of Steall
    • Buchaille Etive Mor

Any advice/better routes for us to try??
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post

• Anach Egach
    • Ring of Steall
    • Buchaille Etive Mor

no routes, but advice - it's still a very dodgy time of the year up there. I am sure you know that though
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      no routes, but advice - it's still a very dodgy time of the year up there. I am sure you know that though
      Indeed walkers beware. Was up in the high peaks of lakes at the weekend and there is plenty of snow still around so Scotland even more so.

Great fun though if one is careful and mindful of the conditions

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

• Anach Egach
        • Ring of Steall
        • Buchaille Etive Mor

They are all excellent expecially on the snow and ice. I take it you are very experienced walkers if attempting Aonach Eagach Ridge, esp at this time of year? If not avoid.

Comment

Anach Egach
          Ring of Steall
          Buchaille Etive Mor
          Aonach Eagach - If you're comfortable scrambling as opposed to walking it's a good one, lots of exposure but don't think about trying to descend the scree slopes on either side.

Try the Lost Valley, an excellent walk.

Buachaille Etive Mòr - I've only ever climbed so not sure about walking but I think there's a path and scrambling required.

I probably don't need to mention how dangerous things are up there at this time of year.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
            They are all excellent expecially on the snow and ice. I take it you are very experienced walkers if attempting Aonach Eagach Ridge, esp at this time of year? If not avoid.
            Yes my thoughts. 2 of us are competent rock climbers/mountaineers, one of the party is inexperienced however so maybe we should leave that for another time. I have done most of the Cullin ridge in winter and Liathac in late winter/early spring....

Would you recommend the other 2 routes though for a newbie with 2 more experienced guys??

Comment

lots of good advice on www.outdoorsmagic.com

Comment

Yes my thoughts. 2 of us are competent rock climbers/mountaineers, one of the party is inexperienced however so maybe we should leave that for another time. I have done most of the Cullin ridge in winter and Liathac in late winter/early spring....

Would you recommend the other 2 routes though for a newbie with 2 more experienced guys??
                It would be a shame to miss the ridge if you liked the Cullins, but ...

The Beauchille will be fine if you go up the "walking" route, Though this is still very steep, full of scree, and maybe heavily corniced at the top. Defo need crampons and ideally axe, so it's not ideal for a newbie, but you'll know your friend better...

Comment

Working...
                X