• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Bench: Vol. X

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Bench: Vol. X

Wow, this makes it a hundred links to matters of varying (but usually minimal) worth! Here you go:
    • Knitted Möbius Bands - a Möbius strip (or band) is a topologically intriguing object that has only one side and one edge; you can make one by taking a strip of paper, giving it a half-twist, and sticking the ends together. Knitting one is distinctly trickier, but American mathematician Dr. Sarah-Marie Belcastro provides three proven techniques.

• The Hidden Art of Achieving Creative Flow - "Many people flow through their lives in an effortless fashion, while countless others have a difficult time achieving a flow state." Some tips on getting into the mental state that makes work seem almost effortless.

• Exclusive: How Google’s Algorithm Rules the Web - "This year, Google will introduce 550 or so improvements to its fabled algorithm..." One of the most informative articles yet published about how Google's indexing algorithm works. Hint: PageRank is so 1997.

• The A4 and the A8: secrets of the iPad's brain - "Most companies, when they go to the enormous expense of designing a complex chip, tell everyone about it… It's not, however, true for Apple." Jon Stokes rounds up what's known about Apple's new system-on-a-chip.

• Why DRM Doesn't Work or How to Download an Audio Book from the Cleveland Public Library - amusing comic strip (and true story) having a pop at Digital Rights Management.

• How to Embalm a Body - "Nicole Pasulka visits a funeral home in New Jersey to learn, hands-on, how to prepare someone for an eternal rest." You probably don't want to read this one at lunchtime. You may prefer not to read it at all.

• Jesus of the Week - The Internet's finest collection of tacky, tawdry, and tasteless images of Jesus. "Have an image of Jesus you feel sums the ol' Christ up? Submit the bugger!"

• How and Why We Lie to Ourselves: Cognitive Dissonance - "The ground-breaking social psychological experiment of Festinger and Carlsmith (1959) provides a central insight into the stories we tell ourselves about why we think and behave the way we do. The experiment is filled with ingenious deception..."

• Denver doctor warns on microwave popcorn - "Popcorn lung, or broncheolitis obliterans, permanently scars airways, eventually leaving victims fighting for breath…" Don't sniff the steam, it's dangerous!

• you don't bury survivors - "So, Jeremy, tell me a little about yourself." "Because they'll roll and they can't fall down the hole." Amusing dig at those interview questions that consist of stupid puzzles. (Here are the questions to the answers.)

Happy invoicing

as usual,
    I read the headlines and dont know where to start. I want to do them all first

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Wow, this makes it a hundred links to matters of varying (but usually minimal) worth! Here you go:
      • Jesus of the Week - The Internet's finest collection of tacky, tawdry, and tasteless images of Jesus. "Have an image of Jesus you feel sums the ol' Christ up? Submit the bugger!"

Happy invoicing
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

• The A4 and the A8: secrets of the iPad's brain - "Most companies, when they go to the enormous expense of designing a complex chip, tell everyone about it… It's not, however, true for Apple." Jon Stokes rounds up what's known about Apple's new system-on-a-chip.
        I didn't know that Apple and Audi were in cahoots
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          as usual,
          I read the headlines and dont know where to start. I want to do them all first

Happy to help

I think it's quite a good selection this week, although once again I forgot one I've been meaning to include for several weeks

Comment

Happy to help

I think it's quite a good selection this week, although once again I forgot one I've been meaning to include for several weeks
            oh go on, do an inbetweenie

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
            X