• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Weak pound doing wonders for an export led UK recovery

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weak pound doing wonders for an export led UK recovery

Not!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8557200.stm

The UK's goods trade deficit with the rest of the world unexpectedly widened to its biggest since August 2008 in January.

And exports saw their sharpest drop in more than three years, according to the Office for National Statistics.

The UK's trade gap in physical goods widened to £7.99bn ($12bn), well above the £7bnn forecast by economists.

The news was disappointing especially since the weak pound might have been expected to boost sales abroad.

Doomed. Pound dropping like a stone again.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Not!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8557200.stm

WB DP
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Yeah, 3/4% down already today against USD.

Comment

It's obvious New Labour's plan to shrink their trillion pound deficit is to destroy the pound, therefore destroying all their debt.

Sorteeeed.

I hope no one here has any savings or pensions.

Comment

To be balanced, so is EUR, but GBP doing worse so EUR/GBP going up (especially for Atw who lives in his own world: GBP/EUR going down)

But, .... I don't care.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            (especially for Atw who lives in his own world: GBP/EUR going down)
            Whichever, as long as it moves in the right direction

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Which is? Do you have a target?
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Some possible explanations;
                - products are too tulipe for anyone to want to buy them
                - everyone else is bust
                - costs remain relatively high because the currency advantage is wiped away by higher costs of imported parts and materials and fuel
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  AtW is your master plan to write some dodgy software, blind greedy overseas investors with technology, get a couple of million "invested" in Euros, stick it in a bank account and trouser the proceeds that result from the falling pound?
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    AtW is your master plan to write some dodgy software, blind greedy overseas investors with technology, get a couple of million "invested" in Euros, stick it in a bank account and trouser the proceeds that result from the falling pound?
                    For the record - NO, that is (obviously) NOT my plan.

This plan does not make any sense - if pound is falling then what's good to transfer good currency into falling one?!?!

I've seen 2100% per annum inflation, when currency dropped 10000 times to dollar in like 10 years, do you think people at the time were changing dollars to rubles much?

Comment

Working...
                    X