• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in sunnier climes?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in sunnier climes?

Anyone ever get a gig in somewhere sunny but reasonably close? Say Spain, South of France, Italy, Portugal, etc...
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

A guy I worked with a few years back worked in the UK May-September and then went back to Sydney, so never experienced a cold winter.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
      Anyone ever get a gig in somewhere sunny but reasonably close? Say Spain, South of France, Italy, Portugal, etc...
      Aye, worked in spain for 6 years, plenty of sun and the rate wasn't too bad. There aint many contracts there and the ones that are there normally pay tulipe.

Comment

I know a guys who ducking down in New Zealand, the lucky bugger!
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Brilliant. Thanks for that enlightening input. The board is a much better place to be after that snippet of devastatingly interesting piece of information.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Brilliant. Thanks for that enlightening input. The board is a much better place to be after that snippet of devastatingly interesting piece of information.

Yes, he's a respected poster on CUK unlike yourself you Northern monkey.

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
              There's obviously no visa issues for a UK citizen to work in any of those places but I have never heard of any well paid contract work in any of them. I suspect that you will need to be able to speak the local language too.

If you want sunny combined with well-paid work then Australia is booming. Unfortunately it is not so close and the visa will be harder to get.

Comment

It is officially autumn now and the weather is beginning to turn. There was a slight chill in the air this morning but that has gone now.

Rates are half what you would get in the UK and prices are about the same as the UK. When I first visited ten years ago it was cheap, cheap, cheap here but that is not the case any more.

EDIT: Or did you mean tay rather than me?
                Last edited by Gonzo; 9 March 2010, 22:05. Reason: He might not have meant me. Edited again for clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                  It is officially autumn now and the weather is beginning to turn. There was a slight chill in the air this morning but that has gone now.

Rates are half what you would get in the UK and prices are about the same. When I first visited ten years ago it was cheap, cheap, cheap here but that is not the case any more.

EDIT: Or did you mean tay rather than me?
                  I meant you Gonzo. You lucky bugger.

Comment

Yes, he's a respected poster on CUK unlike yourself you Northern monkey.
                    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                    did you mean tay rather than me?
                    I believe the key word is "respected"
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X