• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Learning SQL recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning SQL recommendations

Doing more and more with MySQL and really need to learn SQL. So many books but no idea where to start, any ideas?

I know the basics and comfortable with the command line but need to get beyond simple querys.
    Me, me, me...

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Doing more and more with MySQL and really need to learn SQL. So many books but no idea where to start, any ideas?

I know the basics and comfortable with the command line but need to get beyond simple querys.
    I might have a training course I put together. I'll see if I can dig it out.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      I might have a training course I put together. I'll see if I can dig it out.
      Thanks MF, I'd really appreciate that.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Generally, or are you using a specific app ?
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          Generally, or are you using a specific app ?
          ClientCo have a custom written app using MySQL as the backend DB. Eventually I'm going to have to create reports and otherwise do the DBA thing.

For years I've been creating and sort of maintaining MySQL and PostresSQL databases but actually creating queries I've never had to do much with.

Got Navicat and can connect remotley but I want to learn the basics before using graphical tools. Using that I'm creating thngs using trial and error, sure way to get bad habits.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

ClientCo have a custom written app using MySQL as the backend DB. Eventually I'm going to have to create reports and otherwise do the DBA thing.

For years I've been creating and sort of maintaining MySQL and PostresSQL databases but actually creating queries I've never had to do much with.

Got Navicat and can connect remotley but I want to learn the basics before using graphical tools. Using that I'm creating thngs using trial and error, sure way to get bad habits.
            right. cant help unless you have a specific problem then. knowing there is a risk of bad habits is actually a good thing, it's the peeps who think 'oh yeah , i'll remember all this next year' who will get in too deep.
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

right. cant help unless you have a specific problem then. knowing there is a risk of bad habits is actually a good thing, it's the peeps who think 'oh yeah , i'll remember all this next year' who will get in too deep.
              Thanks, just need to put the time in and learn. I have half an idea but getting it right at the beginning to fill in the gaps is important.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Thanks, just need to put the time in and learn. I have half an idea but getting it right at the beginning to fill in the gaps is important.
                I have no idea what level you are thinking, so apologies if I am teaching granny to suck eggs, but make your stuf reusable and parameterised.
                switchable. build a library
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)

Comment

I have no idea what level you are thinking
                  Basics, basics...

I understand the concept of a library but wouldn't know where to start. I can create a db, tables, fields, keys but that's about it.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Basics, basics...

I understand the concept of a library but wouldn't know where to start. I can create a db, tables, fields, keys but that's about it.
                    You could start with a specific query you have to write, have a go at writing it, post the query here with a request for suggestions for improvement and , err, duck.
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                    X