• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Millions will have to wait until 4pm for post

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Millions will have to wait until 4pm for post

Under the terms of a new three year Royal Mail pay deal, which has been criticised for allowing postmen to get paid more for working less, letters and parcels will be delivered one hour later - 3pm in towns and cities and 4pm in the countryside.

Currently, the latest the post should be delivered is 2pm in towns and cities, and 3pm in rural areas.

The new, even later deliveries were criticised by politicians and campaigners last night, with some suggesting that "the householder and the small businessman working from home is paying the price of this peace deal".

The 80 page "national agreement" between the Royal Mail and the unions also allows for tens of thousands of postmen to start work an hour later at 7am, to ensure that postmen are not working any extra hours to complete their rounds.

Separately, householders could also be deluged by a blizzard of junk mail after the two sides agreed plans to expand the amount of junk mail which postmen can deliver.

Last night close to the Communication Workers Union claimed its officials had opposed the change to the delivery times during the two month negotiation which resulted in the agreement, but insisted that Royal Mail bosses had forced them through the negotiations.

More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-for-post.html

-------------

I've got to say - in my view Post Office/Royal Mail went from very good 10+ years ago to total tulip now, the queues are so long they remind me of Soviet Union, and those were queues for food!!!

When I was a kid, we used to have the post delivered at 6am.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

when I was a kid we used to have to deliver all letters ourselves, my mum had a penpal in john o'groats and we lived in Devon AND I had to be back in time for school
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Blah blah blah
          I wish you'd only post after 4pm
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
            Separately, CUKers could also be deluged by a blizzard of junk mail after AtW made plans to expand the amount of junk mail which he posts during working hours.

Comment

As most people only leave work after 5pm, does it really make a big difference whether the mail arrives at noon, 2pm or 4.59pm? I don't care, all he brings me are bills, statements and offers for funeral insurance

I'd imagine it would really upset people waiting for giros if it cooincides with the post office closing times.
              Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                I can do that, but I'll have to charge you for it.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

The new, even later deliveries were criticised by politicians and campaigners last night, with some suggesting that "the householder and the small businessman working from home is paying the price of this peace deal".
                  Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
                  As most people only leave work after 5pm, does it really make a big difference whether the mail arrives at noon, 2pm or 4.59pm?
                  Still Invoicing

Comment

Home based businesses are in the minority and the majority - I would imagine - would be dealing/trading via email and websites. How often do you personally receive a 'crucial' document via the Royal Mail these day? For me it's probably once or twice a year - hardly worth crying over a few hours delay.
                    Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Working...
                    X