• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expats

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expats

On reading this article and in particular the last para I wondered which brits had emigrated to Australia and have actually achieved anything. My point being that people who emigrate from this country are losers and that the people who come here are people of substance.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle...Australia.html

Anyway, while we have lost Leah Wood to Australia (and I must not forget Ben Elton, however hard I try), it is instructive to look at the people who have emigrated from Oz to the UK. Lette, Clive James, Germaine Greer, the latter of whom once described her native country as being like “a huge rest home”. I know where the bloody hell I’d rather be.

Then there are the subtle differences between our cultures. We may share a language, says Lette, but only just. “Basic survival guides: rugby is called football. Dinner is called tea. Romance is called a 'root’. A near-death-experience is called a 'fun run’. The Aussie version of foreplay is shearing. In Australia, formal wear is a pair of bikini bottoms.” Leah Wood will certainly miss all the dressing-up.

Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

'My point being that people who emigrate from this country are losers and that the people who come here are people of substance.'

DA, if I may,

that quote holds for both parties

Milan.

Comment

It's wonderful to see the stereotypes of Australia are still alive and well. Very few holding any sort of truth to them other than the cab drivers not knowing where they're going.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
        'My point being that people who emigrate from this country are losers and that the people who come here are people of substance.'

DA, if I may,

that quote holds for both parties

Milan.
        Well does it?

Does Australia have a hatful of British migrants (current generation) who have made a name for themselves in the way that Aussie migrants have done in the UK?
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          Well does it?

Does Australia have a hatful of British migrants (current generation) who have made a name for themselves in the way that Aussie migrants have done in the UK?
          I would suggest that for somebody already famous in their own right here would be senseless to go to the cultural vacuum of Australia unless it was to retire in the warm.

Wikipedia has a page, but I only recognise a couple...
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

My point is that (with exceptions) we get the quality and we send them the dross in return.

Comment

Germaine Greer. Winner.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                My point is that (with exceptions) we get the quality and we send them the dross in return.
                Nope, I think we each send equal measures of dross (with exceptions).
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

We got Jason Donovan but Kylie stayed home. This puts the argument at risk DA.

I'm also thinking of Aussie-born cricketers that have turned out for England.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    I'm also thinking of Aussie-born cricketers that have turned out for England.
                    We got Craig White and Martin McCague. They got Andrew Symonds.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X