• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank Holiday working?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank Holiday working?

My current contract is entering a really busy period and one of the managers has gone so far as to ask if people would be willing to work Good Friday and Easter Monday to help out. The thing is, he's basically suggested that we just "move the bank holidays to later in the year" - no mention of extra pay or even extended time off in lieu. (And my contract is only till mid-May anyway, now I think on it!)

I've only just started here and don't know if there is a standard procedure with this kind of thing (I've emailed my agent to ask if he knows), but I was just wondering what others do in these situations. When I was a permie many years ago and worked rota, Bank Holidays were worth about 2.5 times normal day rate, but that may have been negotiated by the unions. I don't think I've ever worked a Bank Hol as a contractor, so I don't know what the SP is. Any advice?

Speaking for myself, I tell clients to poke it, unless:

a) I'm doing fark all that day AND
    b) they pay me double rate AND
    c) I can really be arsed

Other peoples experience I'm sure differ...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
      Other peoples experience I'm sure differ...
      Quiet - "contract termination" and "bad reference" are the operative words that spring to mind

Comment

First piece of advice - move this / repost this in the contracts forum. You might get more relevant / serious answers from there than you will in General.

Second - what does your contract say? If there is nothing in there, then most clients I have worked with that asked the same question (or whether I would work weekends) is that the most they expect would be to pay you the standard rate. I had one PM tell me that she would "like to be able to offer more, but we have to work to the contract. I hope you understand". I told her that I understood, but wouldn't be working that weekend "as we have to work to the contract".

It's up to you to either negotiate what you want for the work, or not do it - same as any contractual negotiation. If you want to do the work, then either do it for the rate in the contract, or do it for what you can negotiate. If you don't want the work, then don't do it.

I've not worked weekends or bank holidays for 10 years now - I only did it then because I was permie, the overtime was good, I was doing nothing that weekend, and MrsF was still away at university. Now, I have no incentive to work overtime, so I don't.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Quiet - "contract termination" and "bad reference" are the operative words that spring to mind
          Well, the client would be pretty stupid to get rid of people when they are so manic that they need them to work weekends.

Mind you, there are plenty of stupid people out there.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Your not a permie. Days "in lieu" don't exist as a contractor.

You turn up you and deliver and you get paid. Don't turn up or don't deliver and dont' get paid.

Just tell them what you want cash wise to turn up. If they refuse don't go in.

Simple.

Comment

????? At the end of the day you aint gonna get paid for the BH anyway, so if you want to work it, then work it. If you dont, don't. Bank holidays are a pain the ass when you're contracting.

A bank holiday is just another day and only permies think it's something special and should get something for it.

You're in control. Your choice.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Officially ‘bank’ holidays are just that, holidays for people who work in banks. They are not public holidays and so you would be expected to work during them (assuming someone in HR actually knows what they are talking about). Most companies allow their permanent employees time off on bank holidays but it is not the law.

So take what you can get, but they may quote the above at you. Plus you agreed to contract on said rate per day. This alas, in the eyes of the law, counts as a regular day.

HTH
                "Wait, I still function!"

Comment

Jesus. Did four posters just give exactly the same advice.

I need to sit down!!
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Yo have to think what do YOU want to do and then balance this up with what needs to be done.

I have done everything in this situation while contracting, worked for a day in lieu, worked for normal rate, worked it for the brownie points (once!) though I have never managed to get an enhanced rate it has to be said.

Each time it came up my circumstances were different which affected what I did. Last easter partner was away, didn't want to cut the grass, had a contract I enjoyed so I did a day with everyone else and mucked in for no cash. I did impress a couple of people and got myself in with the rest of the guys no end so strongly believe this helped me get an extention. Either way I enjoyed the day as it was bit more light hearted and thats what I work for.. to be happy.

Go speak to the client, get what YOU want. You have a contract so can't get screwed over so try change it to your advantage. If you want a couple of extra hundred quid then work it like normal day. If you don't want to do it don't.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X