• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will the Large Hadron Collider destroy the world?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will the Large Hadron Collider destroy the world?

It will according to AtW.

But Professor Brian Cox says ‘anyone who thinks the LHC will destroy the world is a twat’.

Who’s right? Poll coming
    Yes, AtW is right; LHC will destroy the world
    5.56%
    No, if Brian Cox says AtW is a twat that’s good enough for me
    66.67%
    Hmmm, AndyW’s mum sits on the LHC when it vibrates
    27.78%
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

If it runs on Windows, yes.

Comment

I am not saying it WILL destroy the world, what I am saying is that having a goal to re-create BIG BANG on Earth and conditions that are thought to be present in "black holes" is a tad stupid at this point of human kind that has not yet went to space proper.

Why take this small, but fatal risk?

The research we need right now is anything that helps to get off fossil fuels to cut off dependency to 3rd world backwards countries.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        I am not saying it WILL destroy the world, what I am saying is that having a goal to re-create BIG BANG on Earth and conditions that are thought to be present in "black holes" is a tad stupid at this point of human kind that has not yet went to space proper.

The research we need right now is anything that helps to get off fossil fuels to cut off dependency to 3rd world backwards countries.
        They are trying to recreate the conditions that existed around the time of the big bang, not the actual event itself. It's a bit like using an oven to recreate the conditions that exist in the desert. Only dangerous if you put your head inside.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          They are trying to recreate the conditions that existed around the time of the big bang, not the actual event itself.
          FFS, what if they succeed and recreate conditions just BEFORE Big Bang, what's going to happen next?

The risk isn't worth - some people who work there have got vested interest because it's their route to Nobel Prizes, however, what PRACTICAL value this massively expensive project can give? Eff all - scrap it and put cash into R&D of better nano-batteries, more fuel efficient engines etc etc.

Comment

Funny you should ask, I am an expert in this subject as well.

Yes, 100% yes.

A stranglet will be created.

If strangelets can actually exist, and if they were produced at the LHC, they could conceivably initiate a runaway fusion process in which all the nuclei in the planet would be converted to strange matter, similar to a strange star.

I think we should smash it up with hammers. Same goes for cotton mills.

Comment

FFS, what if they succeed and recreate conditions just BEFORE Big Bang, what's going to happen next?
              Now, that would be clever!
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

My guess would be a

BIG BANG!
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

The risk isn't worth - some people who work there have got vested interest because it's their route to Nobel Prizes, however, what PRACTICAL value this massively expensive project can give? Eff all - scrap it and put cash into R&D of better nano-batteries, more fuel efficient engines etc etc.
                  Nobody knows. Nobody knew what practical value it had had Ugga and Wugga the cavemen started bashing bits of flint against a rock and their mates started rubbing sticks together. Nobody knew what practical value it had when some chappies set off in little wooden boats to the Americas. When Hero of Alexandria described a ball that spun round on steam power, it was seen as a plaything for rich merchants and landlords.

Nobody knows what practical value will come of exploring the fundamentals of the universe. That’s the best reason for doing it.

Stop fundamental research and applied science will quickly run out of stuff to apply.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

what PRACTICAL value this massively expensive project can give?
                    Other than advances in superconducting power transmission technology, magnet technology, techniques for handling and processing massive amount of data and, oh yes, nearly forgot, understanding how the universe works?

Can't think of anything TBH. ******* waste of money, science.

Comment

Working...
                    X