• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Folk Music

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Folk Music

Sorry, I'm sure a lot of you like it but I can't stand it. I think it's the people who play it - they always seem to be politically very extreme and have a huge axe to grind; listen to the lyrics - most folk songs are bellyaching about something or other. Anyway, this was confirmed this evening when I was having a quiet pint in a pub when an open mic session sprang up. It was tolerable up to the point when they started shouting TooRyeAy at which point i drank up and left. Just as I was leaving I was informed by my drinking partner that the guy on the tin whistle is the chairman of Guernsey BNP

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    Sorry, I'm sure a lot of you like it but I can't stand it. I think it's the people who play it - they always seem to be politically very extreme and have a huge axe to grind; listen to the lyrics - most folk songs are bellyaching about something or other. Anyway, this was confirmed this evening when I was having a quiet pint in a pub when an open mic session sprang up. It was tolerable up to the point when they started shouting TooRyeAy at which point i drank up and left. Just as I was leaving I was informed by my drinking partner that the guy on the tin whistle is the chairman of Guernsey BNP
    Figures - folk musicians and BNP members are all inbreds aren't they?

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
      Figures - folk musicians and BNP members are all inbreds aren't they?
      Cliphead, you're comment?
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Sorry, I'm sure a lot of you like it but I can't stand it. I think it's the people who play it -.........sey BNP
        In general I agree, but then I hear Kate Rusby and something inside me snaps.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Cliphead, your comment?
          Agreed, English folkies and BNP appear to be inbred

Saying you don't like folk music is like saying you don't like rock music. There are many styles within the genre, some hairy bloke with a guitar and a political agenda isn't what folk music is about.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

One of the best afternoons I ever had was in an olde English pub in Cheshire, and the was an English civil war crowd in, in full uniform. Half a dozen of them had pretty authentic looking old instruments that I never saw before and they were singing songs from the period. - brilliant

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
              Agreed, English folkies and BNP appear to be inbred
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Take a moment to listen to Ducks on a pond by The Incredible String Band.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  In general I agree, but then I hear Kate Rusby and something inside me snaps.
                  WHS.

And don't forget Seth Lakeman...

<sigh>
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

there's nowt so queer as folk etc. like everything in life there's the ghastly, the gorgeous and an awful lot inbetween.

Comment

Working...
                    X