• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FSA optimistic about economic recovery...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FSA optimistic about economic recovery...

... but tell banks to prepare for levels of joblessness not seen since the Great Depression of the 1930s.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle7056674.ece

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    ... but tell banks to prepare for levels of joblessness not seen since the Great Depression of the 1930s.

weird. I was just reading an article that said all banks balance sheets should be considered fraudulent and 40% overvalued
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

An expression involving a stable door and a bolting horse comes to mind.

I can't take anything the FSA says seriously. I am not surprised that it proved to be inadequate because it was the product of Gordon Brown unneccessarily rewriting the regulatory system that worked perfectly well before.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
        the regulatory system that worked perfectly well before.
        Not according to "Yes, Minister" and "Yes, Prime Minister" shows - plenty of corruption in the City shown there

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Not according to "Yes, Minister" and "Yes, Prime Minister" shows - plenty of corruption in the City shown there
          Agreed.

Alarmingly the FSA was brought in to provide transparency, and protect investors. Along with legislation such as MIFID

And yet it's never been so corrupt
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Dear me AtW, if you knew what you were talking about you would know that the system Brown took apart was established in the mid-eighties, some time after those Yes Minister shows were made.

Comment

Dear me AtW, if you knew what you were talking about you would know that the system Brown took apart was established in the mid-eighties, some time after those Yes Minister shows were made.
              Yes I know that.

What I also know from watching Yes, Minister is that allegedly the City was also corrupt so much as they got appointed Sir Desmond Glazebrook as Governor as BoE!!!

Comment

Yes I know that.

What I also know from watching Yes, Minister is that allegedly the City was also corrupt so much as they got appointed Sir Desmond Glazebrook as Governor as BoE!!!
                Sigh.

It is true that a lot of stuff that used to go on during the seventies and eighties would not be tolerated now, this was not an issue by the mid-nineties.

Comment

It is true that a lot of stuff that used to go on during the seventies and eighties would not be tolerated now, this was not an issue by the mid-nineties.

It seems to me that minor excesses of the City int he 70s and 80s were like "chicken feed" in Boris' language...

Comment

Sigh.

Gonzo! Are you talking about that Catholic Priest child abuse again? FFS give it up, that priest aint ever gonna marry you!! Cough.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X