• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Generic API

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Generic API

On about 75% of all my assignments since I have been contracting I will, at some point, encounter a construct called a Generic API (or words to that effect). What I want to know is WHO is responsible for this monstrosity? I'm convinced it's all the handiwork of the same person. I'm looking at one right now and you have to pass in frikkin string literals to tell it what you want it to do! Cue endless hours spent leafing through outdated technical specifications trying to work out what those literals should be

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    On about 75% of all my assignments since I have been contracting I will, at some point, encounter a construct called a Generic API (or words to that effect). What I want to know is WHO is responsible for this monstrosity? I'm convinced it's all the handiwork of the same person. I'm looking at one right now and you have to pass in frikkin string literals to tell it what you want it to do! Cue endless hours spent leafing through outdated technical specifications trying to work out what those literals should be
    It was me, but I didn't write the documentation. In any case I changed my mind on some of the interface after I'd handed it over to the doco. team. So I'd take what is written there as more of an 'intention'.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

The perfect API

object DoStuff(string command, params object[] args)

Sorteeed!

Next project please.

Comment

Many programmers think this is a "good way to do it" having come across such things elsewhere. E.g.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ioctl
        Last edited by doodab; 11 March 2010, 10:06.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          The perfect API

object DoStuff(string command, params object[] args)

Sorteeed!

Next project please.

Nah, I prefer

object DoSomeStuff(string command, ...)

object DoTheRest(string command, ...)
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Actually I prefer:

object DoStuff(int commandCode, int subCommandCode, int subSubCommandCode, int subSubSubCommandCode, params object[] args)

Don't bother with documentation, it slows the project down.

Comment

Oh dear, no wonder I've been going round in circles. I wanted to do a delete operation so naturally passed in "delete". Now I've finally located the relevant page in the documentation I see I should be passing in "delet". It was obviously put together by an illiterate.

Comment

Hey, I've used that API too. Dunno who wrote it, it was there when I arrived and the people their had no idea who wrote it either.

I commented one day that it must be very stable because it hasn't changed in years. However, I got the reply that the reason for no changes is that nobody understands anything about it and there are too scared to touch it.

Can't blame Bob as it pre-dates him.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

object DoPostOnCUK(text,” ...”)

object F_uckWorking(string command, ...)
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Don't bother with documentation, it slows the project down.
                    WIS

Comment

Working...
                    X