• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electricity usage monitor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electricity usage monitor

My bill for gas & electric has gone through the roof this past quarter. It was of course partly anticipated given the harsh winter, but not to the extent that it came out as!

The bill was over £950 for gas & electric, for 3 months. Electric was the biggest gainer and so I want to get one of those things that monitors the usage every time you switch an appliance on/off.

Some of these monitors cost £10 whilst others are £30+. Anyone here have experience/advise on which one to get and whether they are of any use?

How many plasma TVs do you have and did you watch them a lot over the christmas period and while trapped at home in the snow?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Aye CM, I am interested in getting one of these , let me know how you get on

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
        Some of these monitors cost £10 whilst others are £30+. Anyone here have experience/advise on which one to get and whether they are of any use?
        You say you paid £950 over 3 months, and you hesitate over £20 difference in a device that can save you many times over that?

I'd advise you to check if readings were estimated - utilities treat their customers as source of interest free loans by overcharging them.

Comment

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...y-monitor.html

British Gas give them away free. They are simple devices with a high load and a massive heat sink. They make a big difference to your electricity bill

Comment

TW - thanks for that, I have now just ordered.

ATW - it's not the £20 difference that I see, it's the 300% difference. And the question was more directed at whether the more expensive ones are worth getting over the cheaper ones.

Plasmas, PC, underfloor heating, wife/kids home all day. Does my head in

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              ATW - it's not the £20 difference that I see, it's the 300% difference. And the question was more directed at whether the more expensive ones are worth getting over the cheaper ones.
              I bought one for £10 few years ago, it failed pretty quickly. Much cheapness, not much durabiliness

Comment

Been using our freebie British Gas one since that original post and its good.

Does make a difference, we've been switching far more stuff off and have now identified what are the more power hungry leccy items in the house and been knocking them off standby. Got the meter in the lounge so if we see its high for some reason, thats a prompt to switch the kitchen light off etc whereas before we'd just have left the thing on all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
                  Been using our freebie British Gas one since that original post and its good.

Does make a difference, we've been switching far more stuff off and have now identified what are the more power hungry leccy items in the house and been knocking them off standby. Got the meter in the lounge so if we see its high for some reason, thats a prompt to switch the kitchen light off etc whereas before we'd just have left the thing on all the time.
                  Sounds like exactly what I will be doing! My wife is the lazy/stupid one but I'm guilty of leaving the plasmas on standby (they don't even have an Off switch!) and the PC on at the mains all the time.

Comment

Where you estimating for a long time before getting the meter read?

I thought I was bad with 370 for gas over xmas and I have an 8 apartment house.

Comment

Working...
                    X