• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent discouraging asking for rate rise

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent discouraging asking for rate rise

I know I should remember that although they pretend to us they are OUR agents (and to the clientCos, that they are THEIR agents) they are really agents for themselves and nobody else.

Asked for a rate rise, not only because rates are rising again, but because they dropped my rate last year in the general cashgrab, and my responsibilities have increased, and just 'because' (always the most easily justifiable reason)

Agent told me that the clientCo never ever give rate rises, ever ever, so may as well forget it unless I have exceptional circumstances. Thanks for your support.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    I know I should remember that although they pretend to us they are OUR agents (and to the clientCos, that they are THEIR agents) they are really agents for themselves and nobody else.

Asked for a rate rise, not only because rates are rising again, but because they dropped my rate last year in the general cashgrab, and my responsibilities have increased, and just 'because' (always the most easily justifiable reason)

Agent told me that the clientCo never ever give rate rises, ever ever, so may as well forget it unless I have exceptional circumstances. Thanks for your support.
    Got my Full Support (assuming you are negotiating renewal or you haven't yet started "increased resps") - explain the exceptional circumstances equate to "give me more or I walk"

Obviously you need to be willing to do it.... etc etc

Remember just as they are only out for themselves so are you......

If you are just generally whinging with no intention of actually "cage rattling" (or walking)..... Well in that case... Ahhhhhhh! Poor little you!

Comment

Have you asked ClientCo directly? Might be worth a punt, something along the lines of "If I asked for a reasonable rate increase in line with my increased responsibilities and quality of work, would I get one?" and see what they say.
      Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

YinYang,

do a risk assessment

how good if the market for your skillz

if the market is good and you can walk out of there into another contract paying what you want then.....

you can be more comfortable to tell the client, you want a rate rise, or you walk, as the client did to you in the cash grab last year

if the market is not strong then put up with it

simples

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster View Post
          Have you asked ClientCo directly? Might be worth a punt, something along the lines of "If I asked for a reasonable rate increase in line with my increased responsibilities and quality of work, would I get one?" and see what they say.
          WHS.

Mention it quietly with the client - your worst case scenario is that the agent tells the client you want a rise and gets one, then tells you that the client never does a rate rise.

If you are taking on more responsibility, then negotiate and see if you can get something for it. According to an article on the CUK front page, rates are rising and it won't be long before we see poaching from project to project - I can only hope.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I would. Makes me squirm a bit speaking to the client about rates etc,but as you're getting a brick wall from the agent then asking can't hurt.

Not sure I agree with the "pay up or I walk" approach.
            Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
            +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

As discussed depends on circumstances.
              I have pushed very hard for a rise on 2 occasions when I didn't care if I left.
              First time - pointy haired bloke (to$$er of the first order) came to me direct and said sorry, there is no more budget, I said ok, then phoned the agent and said rise or I walk, PHB later snarled at me 'ok - you've got your damn rise'.
              Second time - They sent a couple of people to persuade me otherwise and I walked.
              Had rises offered without asking or with a nudge from me after 12 months in places I wanted to stay and a couple knocked back.
              So my view is go for it if you have nothing to lose - this includes potential to upset client affecting future work (ok if you never want to go back). Otherwise, consider a request after 12 months or very significant change of work or if you have them by the sack, don't expect sympathy from client or agent (who may well pretend to ask for a rise and tell you they said no...)

Comment

when they offer the extension, you are free to negotiate the terms again. The rate is one of these terms. Put the feelers out and see who bites
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

My perm hadler here is actually quite supportive of me asking for more - it's not him, it'll be the clientco-procurement-dept/agent relationship which will scupper it - agency is a preferred supplier and I can see why they won't want a load of their people demanding pay rises and giving them a poor rep.

As for "pay up or I'll walk", as a bargaining tool it's a tad risky in such a weakly recovering market. I could walk (still have 2+ years cash in the bank), and 7 years C# .Net with banking/insurance is still a relatively strong skillset.

But I am actually enjoying here for the most part, just still stinging from the rate drop from last year, and would like to see it righted at the very least.
                  Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

1st post........
                    Originally posted by Other People View Post
                    Help advice etc <despite being in General>
                    2nd post........
                    You could have just read your 2nd post and saved us all the bother...... or posted it as Advice in Business/Contracts.....

Comment

Working...
                    X