• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lucky lucky barsteward

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lucky lucky barsteward

Just had a nice boozy lunch with an ex-colleague. He's a permie, on 6 months notice, and has just got a pay-off from his employer, which means he gets six months pay in lieu plus a few other cash payments. What his employer doesn't know is that he has just been offered (And accepted) a job in another company...

So for once, I didn't mind a permie paying the bill - though naturally, I've got the receipt.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

It is all swings and roundabouts.

He has earned that payoff by not being paid very well. For 10 years.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post

Amen to that brother .........

Comment

He's on over £100K. As a techy. New job is mariginally better paid.

Comment

What tech?
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            What tech?
            SAP and middlewaremiddlew

Comment

A large company which my missus used to work for moved out of London a few years ago and paid very generous redundancy to employees who didn't want to move with them.

The old building was then taken over by a new company which promptly employed a load of the old staff who went straight back to work in their old offices after a couple of week's holiday.

Comment

At ClientCorp a guy joined the team as Community Manager (it's a "social networking" thing...) and, after about a month, announced that he was leaving to take up the same position at a competitor.

ClientCorp invoked the non-compete clause in his contract, which meant he couldn't start at the new place for three months. So he was given gardening leave, paid full salary for three months to stay at home, then started his new job.

Then ClientCorp cancelled the project we'd been on before it even launched, so there wasn't any competition anyway

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  SAP and middlewaremiddlew
                  Sheesh. That'll teach me to attempt to post from my phone in the pub.

Anyway - specifically, it isn't gardening leave, and there's no anticompetition clause - and yes, his new job is with a competitor the other side of town.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post

Who are you trying to kid, yourself ? When permanent pension/holiday/share option/ and sick pay benefits are considered I think you'll find a permanent employee is a more expensive option.

Comment

Working...
                    X