• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Withholding tax on dividends from foreign shares

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Withholding tax on dividends from foreign shares

First points, greedy ****ers!

30% tax!

Secondly, any way of getting some or all of this "withholding" tax on dividends back?

The shares are in an ISA wrapper, but evidently this only shields you from UK taxes.

Have you asked your accountant?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

http://tinyurl.com/yh38hx5
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Have you asked your accountant?
        I don't trade shares through my accountant and my broker is being a bit vague, like it's possible but he can't be bothered.

So I just need to know whether you can fill out a form like a W8-BEN for the US that works for the EU and for Switzerland?

I'm probably wasting my time posting here though.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          Can't be bothered to trawl through all that crap, a lot of it is from a non UK perspective and doesn't cut to the nitty gritty.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            I don't trade shares through my accountant...

...I just need to know whether you can fill out a form like a W8-BEN for the US that works for the EU and for Switzerland?
            I expect your accountant will know the answer, assuming he's a proper accountant and not a contractor specific form filling service.

Or you could try google, which comes up with this, which has links to some of the forms you need:

http://www.fool.co.uk/news/investing...dividends.aspx

So there you go, two useful pointers you chose to ignore.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Can't be bothered to trawl through all that crap, a lot of it is from a non UK perspective and doesn't cut to the nitty gritty.
              I can't be bothered to help properly.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I did not know they added taxes to fantasy share trading games - that's just

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  I did not know they added taxes to fantasy share trading games - that's just
                  Must check how my celebdaq portfolio is doing.

Last time I checked, I'd just bought shares in that nice Stephen Gately - I wonder what they are "trading" at now?
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    I expect your accountant will know the answer, assuming he's a proper accountant and not a contractor specific form filling service.

Or you could try google, which comes up with this, which has links to some of the forms you need:

http://www.fool.co.uk/news/investing...dividends.aspx

So there you go, two useful pointers you chose to ignore.
                    The link you found is good. Thanks for that. Lots of form filling to do as I have shares in lots of countries.

Comment

Working...
                    X