• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Living For The City...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living For The City...

I overtook some chavs on the way home. They started hooting something at my back, but I kept on walking - although I relaxed my pace (I walk fast) somewhat. If these people think you're trying to get away they'll hunt you down like a lame antelope. Counter-intuitively, one is usually less at risk by slowing down.

Once I was a bit of a way ahead of them I tried to decipher their hooting, and found it was mainly concerned with establishing the location of a fast food emporium, although some personal insults of a generic variety were now being added to the mix because they thought (correctly) that I was ignoring them.

So I turned around and walked back towards them, saying "Sorry, I was miles away, where are you looking for?"

They repeated the name of the fast food place; I directed them to it, about three hundred yards away on the other side of the road.

And they thanked me, asked if I'd had a good night out, thanked me again, shook my hand, staggered across the road (to the consternation of some taxi drivers) and were out of my hair.

I quite enjoy living somewhere that's pretty much inner city. At least I'm more in touch with the way things are than those who derive their opinions from the Daily Fail.

Strange but true: most chavs are very polite and friendly when speaking to helpful strangers on the street late at night, especially when hopelessly drunk. You won't see that fact in the papers any time soon

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I overtook some chavs on the way home. They started hooting something at my back, but I kept on walking - although I relaxed my pace (I walk fast) somewhat. If these people think you're trying to get away they'll hunt you down like a lame antelope. Counter-intuitively, one is usually less at risk by slowing down.

Once I was a bit of a way ahead of them I tried to decipher their hooting, and found it was mainly concerned with establishing the location of a fast food emporium, although some personal insults of a generic variety were now being added to the mix because they thought (correctly) that I was ignoring them.

So I turned around and walked back towards them, saying "Sorry, I was miles away, where are you looking for?"

They repeated the name of the fast food place; I directed them to it, about three hundred yards away on the other side of the road.

And they thanked me, asked if I'd had a good night out, thanked me again, shook my hand, staggered across the road (to the consternation of some taxi drivers) and were out of my hair.

I quite enjoy living somewhere that's pretty much inner city. At least I'm more in touch with the way things are than those who derive their opinions from the Daily Fail.

Strange but true: most chavs are very polite and friendly when speaking to helpful strangers on the street late at night, especially when hopelessly drunk. You won't see that fact in the papers any time soon
    Yes you are quite the streetwise chap. NF of the hood...

I am impressed with how 'in touch' with the street you are... if you dont say so yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
      Yes you are quite the streetwise chap. NF of the hood...

I am impressed with how 'in touch' with the street you are... if you dont say so yourself.
      You should visit. You wouldn't last five minutes out there. That's why you should visit.

Comment

Well we cant all be urban warriors!

Perphaps you should give lessons on how to live on the mean streets?

You take yourself way to seriously, but then again I suppose it isnt easy being flippant when you have to survive on the razor edge of 'the hood'.

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
          Well we cant all be urban warriors!

Perphaps you should give lessons on how to live on the mean streets?

You take yourself way to seriously, but then again I suppose it isnt easy being flippant when you have to survive on the razor edge of 'the hood'.
          And you have changed an ounce either.

Your stock contribution to the board is pointing out others failings from a position of self appointed moral superiority, while completely failing to realise what a arse you come across as in the process.

Simply fab, eh.
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Concise and to the point post about Chavs
            Sounds like you had a brush with fate there dude. These street urchins are on a hair trigger imho. Had they not liked your face you'd have prolly got a good shoeing.

That said, fair play for fronting up to them. Paid off. This time

I once got totally monstered in London and missed my last train home. Then ended up walking around London all night. One experience I'll never forget. It was around the time when everyone kept on stabbing each other. Talk about witching hour. Between the hours of 12 and 3am in Kings cross is pretty sinister. I feel for the paramedics. Brave chaps and chapesses one and all.
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
              And you have changed an ounce either.

Your stock contribution to the board is pointing out others failings from a position of self appointed moral superiority, while completely failing to realise what a arse you come across as in the process.

Simply fab, eh.
              Calm down.
              I didnt say anyting about NF that he hadnt already said about himself. And I def didnt wish him harm, like did towards me. And you jump in with a rant calling me an arse. Oh dear

For the record I dont believe I am morally superior at all. I have humility!
              Last edited by tay; 13 March 2010, 08:35.

Comment

You should visit. You wouldn't last five minutes out there. That's why you should visit.
                Are we led to believe that NF live in a ghetto,been leaning against the wall of a block of flats, smoking a joint and discussing the merits of an extra large doner kebab with extra chillies with the local hoodies.

Respect. Innit.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  Sounds like you had a brush with fate there dude. These street urchins are on a hair trigger imho. Had they not liked your face you'd have prolly got a good shoeing.

That said, fair play for fronting up to them. Paid off. This time

I once got totally monstered in London and missed my last train home. Then ended up walking around London all night. One experience I'll never forget. It was around the time when everyone kept on stabbing each other. Talk about witching hour. Between the hours of 12 and 3am in Kings cross is pretty sinister. I feel for the paramedics. Brave chaps and chapesses one and all.
                  Yeah that happens a lot. I for one struggle my way through Waterloo late of night due to the copius amount of people trying to 'stab' each other. Are you sure you didnt get stuck in Brighton?
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

This message is hidden because it is too cretinous to warrant a response.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X