• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How far up the badness scale?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How far up the badness scale?

Contract coming to an end in two weeks, been there two years and bored!

I have another three month contract ready to be signed ...but I am tempted not to take it and have a long break. I have not told anybody yet ... if I go then a lot of people are going to be unhappy with me

Part of this new contract will involve a hand over to a new permie yet to be appointed.

If I announce in the last week that I am off, would this be seem as exceedingly bad form?

Originally posted by castoff101 View Post

If I announce in the last week that I am off, would this be seem as exceedingly bad form?
    Yes, ..
    1. Because they've given you two years.
    2. They deserve to have enough notice to possibly find someone else. Assuming you have notice period of 2 weeks tell them now.

Or why not just take the three months and possibly inform them now or midway through the 3 months that you wish to depart after that.

Handing over to a perm isn't nice. YOu just know if anything goes wrong later it'll be blamed on you, "oh, he never told me how to do that" and such like.

Comment

compromise.
      If you need a break for sanity reasons, negotiate a handover contract that kicks in when the pemie is in place, and do two days a week. Get well in with the permie and spin it out for six months

or something

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Give that it's three months to train a permi - it looks like you are out the door anyway.

Stick it for the duration and save like hell. You may even be able to cut out early.

However, I would normally ask, "would they drop you at a moments notice?", and act in the same way.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

EOs post makes a lot of sense.

six months at 2 days a week is IMHO attractive. Long weekends with money coming in.

Have they found the permie yet? Are they ready for training? If not offer them a few weeks break with you on call while they sort themselves out.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

No permie yet, interviews still to be set-up. It may take them the new three month contract to get somebody in and working. I like the idea of a more flexible week, maybe that is the way to go...

Comment

Where is "How far up the baldness scale" thread? You lot are slipping.

PS I am about Tony Blair scale.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
              X