• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do You Factor In Contract Length When Making A Decision

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do You Factor In Contract Length When Making A Decision

I just wonder if you have two jobs paying the same rate doing the same stuff and the only difference is contract length what would you do?

JobA has a 12 month contract
    JobB has a 3 month contract

Personally I would take A but WHY exactly?? As a contractor you have no security and a 12 month contract can get canned so would you use contract length as a determining factor

Originally posted by joey122 View Post
    I just wonder if you have two jobs paying the same rate doing the same stuff and the only difference is contract length what would you do?

Personally I would take A but WHY exactly?? As a contractor you have no security and a 12 month contract can get canned so would you use contract length as a determining factor
    Contracts can get canned. Contracts can also get extended.
    A twelve month contract is a sort of statement of intent by the client, they dont often set out to con you, so, all things being equal, go for the twelve monther

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by joey122 View Post

Depends how much I want to be doing the work that is on offer, and potentially what new technologies might be being adopted soon.

For example, if I thought that customers were going to be adopting Fusion in the next month or so (which obviously, they aren't), I might be more inclined to take the shorter contract and hope to get into the new technology early (on the basis that no-one else knows it, so I'm still as attractive commercially as any other contractor).

Having been offered work that I don't really want to be doing in the past, if there were two roles on offer doing the same thing, I might take the shorter one and hope that when I was out of there, I might get back into something that I actually want to be doing.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
      X