• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

David Beckham set to miss World Cup with injury

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David Beckham set to miss World Cup with injury

Linky

Gutted for him, it would have been the perfect way to end his footballing career
    ǝןqqıʍ

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Linky

Gutted for him, it would have been the perfect way to end his footballing career
    We'll probably reach the final, playing against Brazil. We'll put on a valiant effort, holding back the likes of Ronaldinho and others, resulting in a penalty shootout which we'll screw up yet again.

The aftermath will probably see a pub conversation similar to...

'Mate, we came so close, only to lose on the last penalty. Bloody John Terry'

'Well, if we'd had Beckham taking the last penalty instead, we'd have won the World Cup'

Comment

Originally posted by Weltchy View Post
      We'll probably reach the final, playing against Brazil. We'll put on a valiant effort, holding back the likes of Ronaldinho and others, resulting in a penalty shootout which we'll screw up yet again.

The aftermath will probably see a pub conversation similar to...

'Mate, we came so close, only to lose on the last penalty. Bloody John Terry'

'Well, if we'd had Beckham taking the last penalty instead, we'd have won the World Cup'
      This, but in the 1/4 finals...
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        This, but in the 1/4 finals...
        I though that we couldn't meet Brazil until the semis ?

Comment

Originally posted by Weltchy View Post

Comment

England never fail to disappoint in the finals. Disappoint us anyway.

Comment

He could, theoretically, be back and reasonably fit by mid june (although I don’t know the dates of the tournament) and able to play for 20 mins or so at a time. I know nothing about football, but I know that a torn tendon is v.nasty and painful and the recovery can be complicated, but can also go well. What counts against him is his age; mid thirties you notice that injuries don’t heal as fast as in your youth. What counts for him is good medical care and good physical fitness; 30 years of training means that once he’s up and jogging he’ll be fit enough to contribute within one or two weeks. I wouldn’t expect someone to last 90 minutes just 3 months after that injury, but he could be fit enough to play the role that rugby teams call ‘impact player’, coming on for 20 minutes to make the difference. Don’t count him out altogether. I’ve seen people run the 100m just a few months after this injury, although admittedly they were in their early 20s and needed longer to regain form.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Even if he did heal up he is not good enough now to take when just coming back from injury.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                  I though that we couldn't meet Brazil until the semis ?
                  It probably won't be them then, but it still be the 1/4s...
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Career over and he won't be back for best part of 6 months.

Shame really - however I expect him to travel to the world cup in some form and I reckon the FA would sort him a medal out if we won

Comment

Working...
                    X