• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Here is what's wrong with new mods

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is what's wrong with new mods

I've spent sometime thinking about it in order to be objective and I think I got it, observe stats posting stats:

realityhack: 5,829 posts, (3.90 per day)
    NotAllThere: 5,615 posts (6.03 per day)
    cojak: 5,025 posts (2.93 per day)

compare with:

scotspine: 956 (0.56 posts per day)
    ferret: 676 (0.39 posts per day)
    Contractor UK: 55 (0.03 posts per day)

See what's wrong now? New mods are WAY too involved into talking - this makes decisions by them look less objective as it may look like some favouritism is involved, plus there are always grudges possible against people when you get involved.

For the record - I'd be poor choice of mod if I had been offered that post, again due to my involvement: you don't see judges in real life getting involved.

Poll following.
    Yes, good mod is the one who reads more than writes
    36.36%
    No, lots of posts and big involvement isn't a problem
    33.33%
    AndyW would have been a better choice of a mod
    30.30%

Did you apply to be a mod?

p.s. What poll?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      For the record - I'd be poor choice of mod if I had been offered that post, again due to me suffering from persistent delusional disorder: I don't see real life getting involved.
      FTFY
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I think it's a bit early to make judgements. How quick were those to judge - within minutes?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Did you apply to be a mod?
          No, I am too involved to be a mod - same is true for new mods.

Comment

See my post here:
            http://forums.contractoruk.com/1098846-post22.html

I think it is a bit unfair to be calling a problem with the new mods when they have only had their powers for 48 hours.

Major problem up until now is me not being explicit in what I would like them to be doing and also members of the forum intentionally winding them up so see if they would react.

One of the reasons I chose these mods is because they are more talkative and also better at giving out advice to new users.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
              One of the reasons I chose these mods is because they are more talkative and also better at giving out advice to new users.
              Aha, I knew my post analysis would pick up the pattern!

So far I have not seen them giving much advice to new users, but then again I tend to stick around in General only...

Giving advice, support is one thing - banning people is another job, and I do feel those who don't post much are better suited for this role.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                See my post here:
                http://forums.contractoruk.com/1098846-post22.html

I think it is a bit unfair to be calling a problem with the new mods when they have only had their powers for 48 hours.

Major problem up until now is me not being explicit in what I would like them to be doing and also members of the forum intentionally winding them up so see if they would react.

AtW has a fair point concerning the types of new moderator. When I logged in first thing NotAtAll had had the last post on every thread across the boards. I was going to post a thread in General called 'The Last Word with NotAtAll' but decided I had better things to do.

I agree with admin, it's a little early to call, Scotspine & Ferret is(are) top moderators, so will be a hard act to follow and so I am not going to vote on this yet.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  so I am not going to vote on this yet.
                  You are one cowardly sockie!

Comment

I don't think it really matters. They're not judges, they're just trying to keep posts to a relatively clean and legal standard etc.
                    6 or even 10 posts a day is hardly much at all.

If someone questions a decision especially based on whether mod is too involved to be a good moderator, maybe they're taking things a little too seriously?

Comment

Working...
                    X