• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Food hygiene

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food hygiene

After my second bout of food poisoning in 8 days last Friday, I shall be paying more attention to the hygiene standards in company canteens. I have particular aversion to those ‘keep it warm enough to breed bacteria’ lamps where warm food is placed. F**king disgusting idea. What possesses someone to keep fish warm under one of those lamps? I asked for freshly fried, but I’m sure that the undereducated person serving food simply took one from under the lamp and put it on my plate, and as a result I spent all weekend chucking my guts up and am still battling diarrhea.

I've ranted about sodexo in the past, but this time it was 'Eurest', another one of these outsourced catering mobs that seem to sacrifice everything for the sake of cost cutting. Why can't they employ people with a basic knowledge of hygiene, let alone people who know how to cook?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Heat lamps are a revolting idea, and a breeding ground for grossness.

My Mum works in nutrition and is obsessed with food, so I have a weird knowledge of food hygiene facts.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
      Heat lamps are a revolting idea, and a breeding ground for grossness.
      Thought so. Utterly gross. I simply don’t understand how, with all the ‘elf and safety’ regulations, those things are allowed to exist. It’s asking for trouble.

Comment

I always eat food that I cook myself with the occasional restaurant grub. Haven't had food poisoning in the past 8 years, touch wood.
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Thought so. Utterly gross. I simply don’t understand how, with all the ‘elf and safety’ regulations, those things are allowed to exist. It’s asking for trouble.
          They are legal, at certain temperatures. The issue I have is that I don't think some places have them hot enough, yack.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

but this time it was 'Eurest'
            They ran the canteen at the place I worked in Alicante. They somehow neglected to add IVA to their prices for a whole year and subsequently sent out an apologetic mail telling us that there prices would have to go up by 15% to cover the shortfall. Food was ok though; 9 Euros for 3 courses & a small bottle of wine.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
              I always eat food that I cook myself with the occasional restaurant grub. Haven't had food poisoning in the past 8 years, touch wood.
              Trouble is, I’m away from home all week, which means I must put my health in the hands of those who cook my food and I have to be fussy. In the evenings I eat in good restaurants, even though it costs a little more, and I never eat take-aways and certainly not food from those horrendous slot machines. It seems I dropped my guard for a moment and immediately paid the price.

Comment

Why not use the hotel breakfast to provide you with lunch, ham, cheese and a few rolls.

Learnt this in HM Forces when they put you in hotels but gave you an unreciepted allowance of 25 a day for lunch and dinner. So gorge on breakfast, light lunch with leftover breakfast and no dinner = 25 on beer !!
                But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Do you develop immunity to being exposed to canteen pathogens? I've only suffered once IIRC, and that was in foreign lands. Food hygiene at home is almost non-existent, so I may have immunity if any is going, but I do draw the line at going to restaurants.

Comment

It’s a gnome problem.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X