• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Detroit.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detroit.

Anyone else watch the documentary about Detroit on Saturday?

It's like a post apocolypse disaster zone in a lot places.

I was expecting to see vampires, zombies & werewolves.

Looks like it's turning back into the prairie it once was.

Rush hour?

Haven't got one of those anymore, not enough cars.

Or people.

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    Anyone else watch the documentary about Detroit on Saturday?

It's like a post apocolypse disaster zone in a lot places.

I was expecting to see vampires, zombies & werewolves.

Looks like it's turning back into the prairie it once was.

Rush hour?

Haven't got one of those anymore, not enough cars.

Or people.
    Yeah, they filmed most of that programme in Swindon!

Comment

Looks good from here.

NSFW
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Watched it on PVR last night - fascinating and scary!

I'd heard some stories of the degradation and abandonment of some of Detroit but the programme showed that the reality was worse than I thought/heard.

Truely daming indictment (sp) of the american dream. As one of the poeple on the documentary said - "how can we export 'freedom' and 'democracy' overseas when we get it so wrong at home?".

And to think that Detroit went from nothing to the 3rd biggest city in the US to what it is now (a city built for 2 million with only 800,000) in the lifetime of my Grandmother (100 and still going!).

Makes me wonder how a so called civilised (Home of the Free) nation/govenmment can create a level of poverty and depravation in its own country.

How corrupt and twisted is that country in its desperate chase of the dollar?
        Beer
        is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Have yet to watch it but CNN did an interesting special on Detroit a few months ago.

Comment

I went there about 15 years ago. I quite liked it; it was a bit rough, but had ‘character’ and was even quite stylish in a grungy, industrial way, and you could have a good night out in town. Quite a friendly bunch of people, not in that plastic-friendly way you’d expect from merkins, but genuinely enjoyable. It’s obviously gone downhill very sharply since though, and without the car industry it’s in a mess. You have to wonder whether some new culture or industry might rise from the ashes of a once great industrial city. Music, art, fashion or some other trendy idea. People are remarkably resilient.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Looks like its on iplayer and if the first few minutes are anything to go by then it looks like a worthy watch
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                I went there about 15 years ago. I quite liked it; it was a bit rough, but had ‘character’ and was even quite stylish in an industrial way, and you could have a good night out in town. Quite a friendly bunch of people, not in that plastic-friendly way you’d expect from merkins, but genuinely enjoyable. It’s obviously gone downhill very sharply since though, and without the car industry it’s in a mess. You have to wonder whether some new culture or industry might rise from the ashes of a once great industrial city. Music, art, fashion or some other trendy idea. People are remarkably resilient.
                The amazing thing was that the end of the programme was very upbeat. The biggest growing business in the inner city was urban farming. All the locals (who have farming roots in the South) had started setting up urban farms on all the derelict land - some were making more money than working for Ford from thier farm. Seems to be a happening all over the US.
                Beer
                is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
                Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Coalman View Post
                  The amazing thing was that the end of the programme was very upbeat. The biggest growing business in the inner city was urban farming. All the locals (who have farming roots in the South) had started setting up urban farms on all the derelict land - some were making more money than working for Ford from thier farm. Seems to be a happening all over the US.
                  Precisely what I mean. I have a good friend who’s from Argentina, but now lives on and off in Holland and Arg. He said that after the currency collapse and the massive lay offs afterwards, there was general depression for a few weeks and then suddenly new businesses started opening all over Buenos Aires, selling art, live music, home grown food and clothes made by fashion students who’d had to stop studying due to financial problems. He told me that if you’d bought a little shop or café premises in Buenos Aires after the currency collapse you’d be able to retire by now.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    then suddenly new businesses started opening all over Buenos Aires, selling art, live music, home grown food and clothes made by fashion students
                    And who was buying those things if locals no longer work on something that can be exported to other countries to earn hard currency that can then be swapped to stuff like fuel, etc?

What you describe might be enough to employ 10% of laid off population, what about the rest?

Comment

Working...
                    X