• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract market

How bad is it in the UK? Is it improving? Is it really as bleak as a bleak moor on a bleak night in the bleak northern hills?

Anyone giving up and going permaslave?

Anyone on plan B?

Here in Holland there’s certainly been some improvement on last year. I did a lot of preparation for plan B last year, thinking I’d need it, but now that I don’t, I’m actually very motivated to do it; I want to rebuild the warchest first though. In a way, the tuliptiness of 2009 had a bright side for me; it forced me to consider all the other things I can do and showed me that I can actually do quite well in something other than this IT lark.

Views?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Can only speak for testing, seems to be picking up.

Some Test Manager roles being advertised, which is generally a good sign and a pre-cursor to Test Analyst roles appearing.

Saying that, I'm very very grateful that I'm currently in a gig that looks like it's going to run and run...
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I'm going to continue milking the contracting cow for a while longer yet, but I can see a need to re-skill in the medium term (18-24 months).

I'm ideally placed at the moment to angle for a re-skill permie position over that timeframe as I'm working at a software vendor who has a lot of new products on the horizon. If I can tack myself onto one of those then I will be laughing...
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        How bad is it in the UK? Is it improving? Is it really as bleak as a bleak moor on a bleak night in the bleak northern hills?

Anyone giving up and going permaslave?

Anyone on plan B?

Here in Holland there’s certainly been some improvement on last year. I did a lot of preparation for plan B last year, thinking I’d need it, but now that I don’t, I’m actually very motivated to do it; I want to rebuild the warchest first though. In a way, the tuliptiness of 2009 had a bright side for me; it forced me to consider all the other things I can do and showed me that I can actually do quite well in something other than this IT lark.

Views?
        Yes!
        B00med!

Comment

Testing market seems pretty buoyant atm, I've had quite a few calls, a couple of interviews and then at the last minute current gig offered a 6 month extension with a pay rise.

BOOMED

Comment

I'm just back on the market from today, and it does seem a bit better than this time last year.

But I'll have a more educated view in a couple of weeks.................

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
              Testing market seems pretty buoyant atm, I've had quite a few calls, a couple of interviews and then at the last minute current gig offered a 6 month extension with a pay rise.

BOOMED
              Nice one!
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Ardesco, they offered the rise without asking?

In my line it's definatley picking up and at next extension I'm asking for rate rise or I'm off as things are that bouyant, and I could do with a change but a rate rise will secure me for another three months (as I'm close to home ATM)

Comment

Working...
                X