• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The economics of living in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The economics of living in the UK

I don’t get it. There’s Scooterscoot, telling me it costs 240 quid return, chav class, to travel by train from Edinburgh in Scottishland to London in Englishland and back. You can’t buy a house in London if you don’t own the Royal Mint. You could possibly buy a decent shed in Birmingham if you have a footballer’s salary. Booze costs twice as much as here in Foreignland. How do you lot get by?

How has this situation come about, seeing as UK GDP is not much different to Hollandland, Deutschland, Italianland, Frenchland, Belgianvillage etc?

Are some other things really cheap in the UK?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

it's ze city I tell ya - all those Repo 105 operations that no american lawyer would approve are a treat here apparently...

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      I don’t get it. There’s Scooterscoot, telling me it costs 240 quid return, chav class, to travel by train from Edinburgh in Scottishland to London in Englishland and back. You can’t buy a house in London if you don’t own the Royal Mint. You could possibly buy a decent shed in Birmingham if you have a footballer’s salary. Booze costs twice as much as here in Foreignland. How do you lot get by?

How has this situation come about, seeing as UK GDP is not much different to Hollandland, Deutschland, Italianland, Frenchland, Belgianvillage etc?

Are some other things really cheap in the UK?
      It all depends on your age and timing. Those of us (DP and me) who bought loads of BTL for dirt cheap after the 90s recession and sold them just before the crash now live mortgage-free in expensive houses in London, which if we sold them would buy half your street in Holland.
      Plus in certain lines of work you still earn more in London than anywhere else in Europe.
      Put those 2 things together and you'll see why its worth hanging on.
      Having said all of which I'm hacked off and looking to leave.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        It all depends on your age and timing. Those of us (DP and me) who bought loads of BTL for dirt cheap after the 90s recession and sold them just before the crash now live mortgage-free in expensive houses in London, which if we sold them would buy half your street in Holland.
        Plus in certain lines of work you still earn more in London than anywhere else in Europe.
        Put those 2 things together and you'll see why its worth hanging on.

Comment

It's like this, the further north you are the less opportunity there is of work.

The further north you are the more you pay to travel south.

A double whammy. So travel I must.

Here's the kicker, my loyal clients are all in europe not the UK and they are the ones that do not care for where I work as long as the project is delivered I get paid.

Here in the UK it's stalingrad, be at your desk or don't get paid. I could cut my Co2 emissions to probably 10% of what they are if I did not have to traverse the length of this country so often. In some cases I arrive at the office and I talk to no one, it's a complete waste of my money.

And permies will never understand...
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Is this within your price range?

Stately enough?
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Is this within your price range?

Stately enough?
              Looks like DimPrawn's servants' quarters.
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                Looks like DimPrawn's servants' quarters.
                WHS.

My servants live here.

http://www.updowncourt.com/

Comment

Last time I got a the train from London to Edinburgh, it cost about £110 return, bought from the machine at Kings Cross on the day of travel. I'm not sure how he's managing to get charged £240

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                    Last time I got a the train from London to Edinburgh, it cost about £110 return, bought from the machine at Kings Cross on the day of travel. I'm not sure how he's managing to get charged £240
                    Try going before 9am.
                    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                    X