• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brown: I will stay on even after poll defeat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brown: I will stay on even after poll defeat

The man is a mentalist obsessive.

"I owe it to people to continue and complete the work that we have started of taking this country out of the most difficult financial recession"

You owe it to us to f##k off into a very deep hole and never emerge

Linky
    ǝןqqıʍ

A classic case of the headline not being representative of the article content.

He seems to be referring to what he would do if he failed to secure an overall majority, which isn't the same as an outright defeat.

Comment

Random question... how commonly do prime-ministers remain as party leader after their party loses a general election?

I'd assume it's pretty rare?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Random question... how commonly do prime-ministers remain as party leader after their party loses a general election?

I'd assume it's pretty rare?
        For any meaningful period, Winston Churchill was probably the last one.

After he lost the 1945 election, he remainined as Tory leader, going on to lose the 1950 election as well, but winning the 1951 election becomming PM once again.

Actually correction to that - Clement Atlee remained as Labour leader for 4 years after being defeated by Churchill in 1951.

Also Harold Wilson did what Churchill managed - remained in opposition from 1970-74 and then became PM again.
        Last edited by centurian; 15 March 2010, 19:56.

Comment

What can you expect from an unelected Prime Minister?
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            To be fair he was elected as an MP. Given that he is the leader of the party it seems logical (within current system) that he became PM - that's not the biggest issue with Brown.

Comment

What scares me more is the huge number of people who'd still consider voting for his party.
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                To be fair he was elected as an MP. Given that he is the leader of the party it seems logical (within current system) that he became PM - that's not the biggest issue with Brown.
                No, the fact that he's a mentalist concerns me far more.
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  It might seem fair to you, but it ain't democracy.

We never voted for him to represent us as PM.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Every PM is unelected by the general public. You're perhaps confusing the British parliamentary system with Dancing on Ice.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X