• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Government nursery rhymes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Government nursery rhymes

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/env...e-adverts.html

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) ruled that the adverts – which were based on the children's poems Jack and Jill and Rub-A-Dub-Dub – made exaggerated claims about the threat to Britain from global warming.

In definitely asserting that climate change would cause flooding and drought the adverts went beyond mainstream scientific consensus, the watchdog said.

It noted that predictions about the potential global impact of global warming made by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) "involved uncertainties" that the adverts failed to reflect.

The two posters created on behalf of the Department of Energy and Climate Change juxtaposed adapted extracts from the nursery rhymes with prose warnings about the dangers of global warning.

One began: “Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water. There was none as extreme weather due to climate change had caused a drought.” Beneath was written: “Extreme weather conditions such as flooding, heat waves and storms will become more frequent and intense.”

The second advert read: "Rub a dub dub, three men in a tub — a necessary course of action due to flash flooding caused by climate change.” It was captioned: “Climate change is happening. Temperature and sea levels are rising. Extreme weather events such as storms, floods and heat waves will become more frequent and intense. If we carry on at this rate, life in 25 years could be very different.”

Upholding complaints from members of the public, the ASA said that in both instances the text accompanying the rhymes should have been couched in softer language.

The newspaper adverts were part of a controversial media campaign launched by the DECC last year which attracted a total of 939 complaints.

You tax £££ being spent wisely indoctrinating your chidlren a pack of scare mongering lies with no scientific basis.

Hickory Dickory Dock,
    Another load of New Labour Cock.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/env...e-adverts.html

You tax £££ being spent wisely indoctrinating your chidlren a pack of scare mongering lies with no scientific basis.

Hickory Dickory Dock,
    Another load of New Labour Cock.
    Shirley you don't think Prudence Brown would lie to us?
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I've got one: Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall, then global warming killed everyone.

Comment

Hey diddle diddle
        our stats are all fiddled
        and carbon's polluting the moon
        the little dog laughed to see our sums
        and our data comes from Loony Tunes

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Little miss Muffet
          Sat on her tuffet
          trading her carbon away
          Down came a hockey chart
          a graph and and a polar fart
          and frightened Miss Muffet away
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Gordo, Pordo
            Con 'em and lie.
            Fukced the pound and made us cry.

When postal votes came into play
            Gordo Pordo got to stay.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Ding dong bell.
              The Pound has gone to hell.
              Who threw it down?
              Eejit Gordon Brown.
              What about the gold?
              Bugger - it's been sold.
              What a naughty boy was he
              Fukced the economy,
              Who ne'er did any harm
              But killed Johnny Foreigner
              In the illegal war!
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

More importantly...

Remember remember the fifth of November
                Gunpowder, treason and plot.
                I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
                Should ever be forgot...

Comment

Half a pound of Arctic Ice
                  lots of hidden email
                  that's how fiddling data goes
                  pop goes the gulfstream
                  up and down the hockeystick
                  scarcely even legal
                  that's where all your taxes go
                  to gordon the weasel
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I give in!

Comment

Working...
                    X