• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Online vs. Real World Personalities

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online vs. Real World Personalities

Last edited by Lightship; 14 June 2011, 01:34.

Originally posted by Lightship View Post
    For those of you that have met other CUK forum members in real life, have they lived up (or down, as the case may be ) to your expectations, based on their online contributions?

I noticed that the attendee list for the upcoming CUK Spring Bash includes individuals that seem to have a fractious online relationship with others on the list.

I also noticed that two of the moderators plan on attending the bash. Do they feel the need to moderate during real world meetings if/when things get out of hand?
    I think that all the CUK members that I have met in real life have all been exactly the same as their online persona. That includes SallyAnne talking exactly the same way that she types.

I do wish that I could be there to see the moment that SuitYou01 and MF meet.

If I remember correctly, there were concerns at the time that the Christmas 2006 drinks meetup would descend into a colossal punch-up. It turned out perfectly civilised but MF was the only gobby poster that turned up to that one.

Comment

I've attended a number of TRW (The Real World) gatherings, and have enjoyed them tremendously. The bestiary have always been truly great people to meet, and have lived up to the highest expectations created by their finest posts on here, but never down to any expectations created by their worst.

Sometimes people can be terse to the point of being brusque when online, but they don't come across that way in TRW.

Although I haven't met MarillionFan, I know that he attended the first CUK/TRW multi-dimensional implosion, and those who met him there speak well enough of him. I suspect that he is not quite so blunt (although probably just as opinionated) in real life, but even if I'm wrong, things always come across better when you're being insulted to your face rather than anonymously, especially if the ale is good

I've also met the two moderators to whom you refer. Although they didn't have such exalted status at the times of the several occasions on which we have met, I think they both have enough sense to leave TRW conflicts to be dealt with by the doormen or, if necessary, the Police. They signed up to deal with on here, not break up bar-room s. Not that fisticuffs happen anyway; you're more likely to see a major tussle over who should pay for the next round (and yes, Xeno, I am bloody strong resisting you when you try to drag me away from the bar so you can pay )

If you're thinking of attending, I would encourage you to do so. I still don't know if I can make it, but if I can't, it will be with regret. They're a good bunch of people, although they don't necessarily look like their avatars - cojak really needs to be seen sucking a lolly at the next one

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Although I haven't met MarillionFan, I know that he attended the first CUK/TRW multi-dimensional implosion, and those who met him there speak well enough of him.

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
        If I remember correctly, there were concerns at the time that the Christmas 2006 drinks meetup would descend into a colossal punch-up. It turned out perfectly civilised but MF was the only gobby poster that turned up to that one.
        Of course, I may be wrong

Comment

Of course, I may be wrong
          You've put things more eloquently than I ever could.

It will probably be OK. To the best of my knowledge there haven't been any fisticuffs in person as yet and at none of the drinks I attended did we even get close to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
            It will probably be OK. To the best of my knowledge there haven't been any fisticuffs in person as yet and at none of the drinks I attended did we even get close to it.
            Indeed

They're more like love-ins really

Comment

Indeed

They're more like love-ins really
              Like TPD but without the background menace?
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

For those of you that have met other CUK forum members in real life, have they lived up (or down, as the case may be ) to your expectations, based on their online contributions?

I noticed that the attendee list for the upcoming CUK Spring Bash includes individuals that seem to have a fractious online relationship with others on the list.

I also noticed that two of the moderators plan on attending the bash. Do they feel the need to moderate during real world meetings if/when things get out of hand?
                I think the mods should leave their warrent cards at home, they have no duty to put themselves in the firing line, should anything kick-off. (But put a brick in your handbag just in case)

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Oh Dear - you're not a sockie, are you?

I'm afraid I'm one of the group spending far too much on champagne*, wandering around with my shoes in my hand looking for a karaoke bar a 1 in the morning...

(*including my taxi fare back to my hotel... )

Can't see that changing in a hurry...
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    Oh Dear - you're not a sockie, are you?

I'm afraid I'm one of the group spending far too much on champagne*, wandering around with my shoes in my hand looking for a karaoke bar a 1 in the morning...

(*including my taxi fare back to my hotel... )
                    And the lollipop...............tell us more about the lollipop!! Ubba ubba!!
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X