• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good distance learning postgrad courses?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good distance learning postgrad courses?

Apart from the Open University which has become tuliply expensive.

Any other good name for an MBA or an MSc as a distance learning?

Cheers.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Ashridge, Cranfield and Henley for MBA or ExecMBA.

Reassuringly expensive
    Last edited by Tingles; 16 March 2010, 20:48.

Comment

Although I kept up with academia until recently, I would suggest you don't bother with distance learning to achieve something that could, very likely, be from a substandard institution.

Save up and take a year out to go and DIY in the normal in-person style. There are just so many benefits from doing it this way, and you could even keep on a small contract whilst studying.

Most of the better universities don't offer distance learning, and I think there is a solid reason for that. Would you rather a reputable university on your CV with a decent course after spending your hard earned cash, or one of the lesser vocational or recently-made-a-university institutions on it?

You get what you pay for, both in time and money terms. I've never been a fan of distance learning courses though, good quality ones with good participants are few and far between.

Edit: Forgot to mention; the entry requirements for some courses, particularly MBAs are compiled in such a way as to basically accept just about anybody with a few years work experience. That's what separates the respectable MBAs from the top unis, and the crap that other places offer.

Comment

Originally posted by larson View Post
        You get what you pay for, both in time and money terms. I've never been a fan of distance learning courses though, good quality ones with good participants are few and far between.
        Well, I totally agree that distance learning is not the same but if you have a family it's not even an option to take a year out (unless your other half has a very good job). As a prospective employer I'd still appreciate people who do the most they can within their limits.
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
        X