• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question about Quattro Audi's

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Quattro Audi's

Were they any good in the thick snow we had recently?

I mean the BMW 3 Series was hopeless. Even a small amount of snow and with the traction control on, the car would refuse to even try and move and with the traction control off, the car would be stuck hopelessly due to the heavy engine at the front and a very light weight rear end pusing the car deeper into the snow.

I'm thinking that a 4-wheel drive A4/A5 might be better but only if they can cope with the snow easily.

My TT was fine in the snow when I had it.

In the winter we've just had, the Rav4 was pulling my brother in laws mondeo up the hill he couldn't get out of.

4WD is the way forward (or back if you're in reverse)
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

2 years ago I went to the Nürburgring at Easter where it snowed pretty heavily. On the Saturday, which was the worse day, they opened the track in the morning and a load of cars got stuck getting up Hohe Acht (which is the highest point of the track), and ended up having to turn round and drive back the wrong way.

The only car that made it all the way round was an Audi Quatro driven by some Danes.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Why would Audi's 4 wheel drive system be any more or less able than any other manufacturers?

I would have thought all 4 wheel drive systems were much of a muchness.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          2 years ago I went to the Nürburgring at Easter where it snowed pretty heavily. On the Saturday, which was the worse day, they opened the track in the morning and a load of cars got stuck getting up Hohe Acht (which is the highest point of the track), and ended up having to turn round and drive back the wrong way.

The only car that made it all the way round was an Audi Quatro driven by some Danes.
          To be fair, the Danes could probably have got a Ford Capri round in the snow.

Comment

A 4WD is still crap in the snow with the wrong tyres on, even the X5 for example which is usually fitted with the wrong tyres. Sure, you may not get stuck so easily but you will probably still get stuck, or crash, possibly at higher speeds also due to incorrect levels of confidence in the 4WD system.

It's down to the tyres. A RWD BMW should cope easily with the snow we get in the UK with the right tyres on for the conditions.
            Last edited by SuperZ; 17 March 2010, 10:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
              Why would Audi's 4 wheel drive system be any more or less able than any other manufacturers?

I would have thought all 4 wheel drive systems were much of a muchness.
              I'm specifically looking at getting an Audi, and not all 4-wheel drive systems are the same, some are very clever, some are quite basic and some spread the load intelligently and others don't.

Wanted to know from some real world experience if the Audi saloons coped easily with the deep snow and ice or were just as buggered as everyone else, or if the only answer is a "proper" 4x4 (Chelsea tractor)

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
                A 4WD is still crap in the snow with the wrong tyres on, even the X5 for example which is usually fitted with the wrong tyres. Sure, you may not get stuck so easily but you will probably still get stuck, or crash.

It's down to the tyres. A RWD BMW should cope easily with the snow we get in the UK with the right tyres on for the conditions.
                Yeah, I'll get up in the morning, see it has snowed overnight, and then chuck on some snow tyres and then when I get home, if it has melted, I'll chuck on the road tyres.

Is this what you do?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  the car would be stuck hopelessly due to the heavy engine at the front and a very light weight rear end pusing the car deeper into the snow.
                  BMW's are actually designed with 50/50 weight distribution, however this is still hopeless for snow. You want as much weight as possible over the driven wheels, plus skinny tyres - this is why small FWD hatchbacks are excellent in snow, and why the typical "abandoned on snowy hill" cars were BMW's and Mercs (especially Sport models with massive rear tyres)

Audis are definitely a better compromise with the FWD or Quattro setup, but all cars are at risk of big summer tyres losing any traction and sailing into the nearest ditch when it gets icy.

e: to give real world experience my mates' auto A6 Quattro was hopeless on steep hills but it had 19"s and wide tyres

If I lived somewhere I got a lot of snow I would spend £1k on a set of winter wheels and tyres and swap them Nov / Mar - in the UK I don't really think it's worth it. Alternatively spend £500 on a snotter Fiesta for those trips to the station in the snow
                  Last edited by oversteer; 17 March 2010, 11:03.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Yeah, I'll get up in the morning, see it has snowed overnight, and then chuck on some snow tyres and then when I get home, if it has melted, I'll chuck on the road tyres.

Is this what you do?

No, but fit winter tyres between Oct and April,- yes. BY winter tyres I don't mean the studded ones, they can still be used all year round except they would become a bit squidgy during the warmer months.

Comment

Working...
                    X