• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wilmslow type shower issue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wilmslow type shower issue

All soaped up this morning, electric shower just turned off, power light off, water stopped. It's not a power shower just a standard leccy one. Planning to pop the cover off tonight (after turning the mains power off !) am I likely to find a fuse I can change ?
    If it has gone bump - can anyone recommend a leccy shower, there is no issue with the water pressure, but have had to reduce the flow to up the temperature with current unit leaving a less than impressive water stream (fnarr fnarr)- especially in the recent winter !

Ditch the electric shower and get a megaflow cylinder. Mains presssure hot water all through the house.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
      Ditch the electric shower and get a megaflow cylinder. Mains presssure hot water all through the house.
      Agreed, however the house is getting ditched so not keen on this level of investment.

Comment

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago, I'm competant with water and electricity and came to the conclusion that the shower unit was knackered as the heating coil was open circuit. I don't remember if there was an internal fuse though.
        I bought one from B&Q for about £150 which has been fine ever since. The B&Q Depot shops seem to have a good range of options and are quite price competitive or were at the time. It's also handy to be able to see the units physically which is much trickier in plumbers merchants.

The biggest issues I had was that the shower unit had been tiled upto after installation and getting one of the same dimensions was impossible so some re-tiling required and getting a unit with the water feed at the correct side was a drag, but it saved a lot of fannying about with re- running piping.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
          Is this the same unvented cylinder that you should be having serviced every year?
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Cheers Tyke, just with it going off so suddenly as opposed to just running coldmaybe points to power/fuse failure. Will take a look, not too keen on doing a new unit install myself but will be doing a bit more research this time.

Comment

One of mine has just gone bump as well! As we don't tend to use this particular shower room often (just when we have a houseful) we'll replace it with another electric (as it's nice to have a mix of electric/GCH-powered showers, just in case).
              I'm looking at the Mira Sport range - I think they start at around £200.

EDIT - I've just re-read that and realised both how old, and middle-class I sound ...
              If she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood. And therefore a witch!

Comment

Existing unit was 150 fitted, suspect heat/flow issue may therefore be the result of me buying cheap, will correct that this time...

Comment

Had a similar scenario several years ago and, as has already been said, the unit had died.

Ditch and get another one - B&Q have a 20% off £50+ spend this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by 51st State View Post
                    One of mine has just gone bump as well! As we don't tend to use this particular shower room often (just when we have a houseful) we'll replace it with another electric (as it's nice to have a mix of electric/GCH-powered showers, just in case).
                    I'm looking at the Mira Sport range - I think they start at around £200.

EDIT - I've just re-read that and realised both how old, and middle-class I sound ...
                    Had a Mira Sport Max fitted 2 years ago. Bloody good unit for the money.
                    Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Working...
                    X